none
Event ID 6482: Search not provisioned: There is no project Portal_Content mounted under gatherer application <guid> RRS feed

• Question

• My search service shows this message 

My search service shows this message:  'The search application 'Search Service Name' on server SERVERNAME is not provisioned. Confirm that the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Timer service and Central Administration service are running on the server'.  No changes can be made.  I am able to run search queries.

Every minute the Application Server Administration job tries and fails to provision the service and logs the event id 6482: Search not provisioned:  There is no project Portal_Content mounted under gatherer application <guid>

I've found a few posts online that have solved this by clearing the sharepoint cache, which I've done a number of times without success.  A few others re-created search which isn't a real good solution for me since we have a lot of customizations that would have to be redone.

Restoring from Central Admin backups is a possibility, but without knowing exactly what the problem is, it seems that this approach may cause further problems.

Thoughts anyone?  Here's the full event log message

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Server
    Date:          4/9/2015 8:00:38 PM
    Event ID:      6482
    Task Category: Shared Services
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      
    User:          domain\account
    Computer:      SERVER.domain.com
    Description:
    Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance (2aa54846-d503-4704-93ae-40a10a0ee56d).

Reason: There is no project Portal_Content mounted under gatherer application b7266a5e-78cb-4a72-b63b-e7e543bf3bcc.

Technical Support Details:
    System.InvalidOperationException: There is no project Portal_Content mounted under gatherer application b7266a5e-78cb-4a72-b63b-e7e543bf3bcc.
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boolean isAdministrationServiceJob)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Server" Guid="{C33B4F2A-64E9-4B39-BD72-F0C2F27A619A}" />
        <EventID>6482</EventID>
        <Version>15</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>3</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-04-10T01:00:38.751328400Z" />
        <EventRecordID>337996</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{4930FB9C-9CB7-D04C-62A0-7A17B669F3DD}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="16616" ThreadID="8460" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>SERVER.domain.com</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-3958095517-670792205-3813086739-15822" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="string0">Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance</Data>
        <Data Name="string1">2aa54846-d503-4704-93ae-40a10a0ee56d</Data>
        <Data Name="string2">There is no project Portal_Content mounted under gatherer application b7266a5e-78cb-4a72-b63b-e7e543bf3bcc.</Data>
        <Data Name="string3">System.InvalidOperationException: There is no project Portal_Content mounted under gatherer application b7266a5e-78cb-4a72-b63b-e7e543bf3bcc.
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boolean isAdministrationServiceJob)</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Nate

• Edited by NateJacobs Friday, April 10, 2015 2:02 AM
    Friday, April 10, 2015 2:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

For your issue, try to do the following:

Go to Services, and then reset SharePoint server search  accounts (stop/start).

Reset the crawl index (clears the index).

Stop and then start the SharePoint Server Search  - Central Administration: stop and then restart the service.

Reset default content access account.

Besides,Here are similar issue post, you can use as a reference:

http://www.social-point.com/sharepoint-2010-event-id-6482-application-server-administration-job-failed-for-service-instance-microsoft-office-server-search-administration-searchserviceinstance

One or more of these steps together may resolve the instance of this error.

If the issue persist, Please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 13, 2015 9:11 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

I have the exact same problem and the above solution did not help me. I'm running SP2016 though, but I guess that doesn't make any difference. Any other suggestions on what to try?

Thanks

/Jan

Friday, October 6, 2017 8:13 AM
  • I was facing the same issue and tried all option but didn't resolve the issue. We had open a ticket with MS and they reviewed the details. We came to know that there were few orphan items present in config DB and search is trying to load those component. They have asked us to run below Powershell and it resolved the issue.

$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication "Search Service Application"

$ssa.RefreshComponents()

Thanks, Sachin Jagtap

Thursday, May 21, 2020 10:07 AM