Dynamic Grid or Chart Titles : Is it possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Using ProClarity 6.3.

My client has a need to include a date in the Grid Title (Grid Properties > Title tab) or Chart Title (Chart Properties > Title Node > Title Text tab). This date relates to their weekly updated cube and business trading calendar.

The purpose of this Title label is to ensure that any printed reports or graphs reflect the applicable date at the time of printing. These Title labels have been manually maintained up to this point and as the number of reports and graphs increases, it is becoming difficult to update the static Title label properties.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to dynamically update Grid Title or Chart Title labels? We publish our reports and graphs into the PAS database as well as saving the individual briefing books to a public drive. I am hoping to create either an SQL script for the PAS reports or a Search/Replace utility for the bbk files.

2. Is it possible to include a component on the reports or graphs which "displays" the last processing date? This would obviate the need for an update script as descirbed above. Also allowing for the complete removal of the Title label.

Any other clever ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Kind regards,

Charles.

Monday, January 7, 2008 12:38 PM

Answers

• I believe the answer to your question is yes, it is possible to do this, but it will require some customization.

You'll want to download the ProClarity SDK from here and take a look at creating add-ins for ProClarity.  Both the KGrid and KChart objects have properties for the titles.  You'll need to write an add-in that will manipulate the title text to include what you need.  I don't believe there's a way to do it outside of a customization.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 8:46 PM

All replies

• I believe the answer to your question is yes, it is possible to do this, but it will require some customization.

You'll want to download the ProClarity SDK from here and take a look at creating add-ins for ProClarity.  Both the KGrid and KChart objects have properties for the titles.  You'll need to write an add-in that will manipulate the title text to include what you need.  I don't believe there's a way to do it outside of a customization.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Thanks Ben,

I didn't know the SDK was available as a download, I thought it was a separate license, perhaps that was prior to the acquisition. I am thrilled with the prospect of customising the reports and graphs as it will save a lot of time currently spent changing weekly labels.

I'll let you know how I progress. Thanks again.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:15 PM
  • Have installed the ProClarity SDK. Strange situation extracting the contents from the 327 MB zip file. Vista struggled and I aborted the extraction after a very long wait. XP extracted the zip contents in a minute.

Coming back to my custom Grid/Chart title requirement. At first glance it looks like I need to create a visualization plug-in, but am not familiar with VB, which is referred to exstensively in the documentation and samples. I have started writing code but it is going to be a long walk to deployment.

There is a C# sample for a .Net add-in but deals with windows forms, which may limit the implementation to ProClarity Professional Desktop only.

I am happy tackling C# to a large degree, so...

1. Does anyone know of any ProClarity SDK C# examples, Walkthroughs or How-Tos?

2. Who are the ProClarity SDK Gurus out there?

3. Any sites/forums on the ProClarity SDK with a C# slant?

Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:48 PM
  • Unfortunately, there is not an official source for C# samples.  Most samples were written in VB 6.0 because that is what we used in the official ProClarity SDK course.  The course was originally written back in ProClarity 3.0 days, long before .NET and it was easier to update the ProClarity components instead of writing brand new samples.  The .NET add-in example is sadly the only official C# sample written by ProClarity.  I have heard of Partners and OEMs that have built their own versions of PAS in C#, perhaps one of them could comment on the process.

As Ben Scott mentioned, it is possible to tweak Titles through the code.  However, as you pointed out, add-ins only work in the Professional Client and not the Web Standard.  The only customizations that work in both places is a Plug-in.  However, writing a plug-in just to tweak the titles would be like using a wrecking ball to hammer a nail for hanging a picture on your wall (total overkill).  If your users are primarily PAS users, then you might consider diving into the crazy world of ASP and javascript in PAS to see how you could programmatically modify the Header and Footer pieces of the print dialog.  I would start with PDialogPrintSetup.asp and pbDialogPrintSetup.js.  However, finding your way through the maze of code can be a bit difficult.

If you decide to go the route of an Add-in or Plug-in, I would be more than happy to answer your questions.  I wrote the SDK courseware for ProClarity 5 and 6.  The courseware focused primarily on building Add-ins and Plug-ins.  Just so I don't misrepresent myself, I used to work for ProClarity in the Consulting group during versions 3.0 to 6.0.  I am now an independent consultant.  I still have a tendency to use "We" when speaking about ProClarity but my comments are my own and I do not represent Microsoft or ProClarity .  I will always consider myself part of the family though.

I would give you my email address but I can do without the spammers getting a hold of it.  You can track me down through the BTGServices website.

Jason Picker

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:00 PM