Service Manager 2012 Portal - Enumeration List issue with Child Items RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed today that the SCSM 2012 RC Self Service Portal request offerings do not correctly display enumeration lists with children. It just gives a flat list. We have classification categories 3 or 4 levels deep, so a flat list is very confusing.

Example Enumeration list:

1. Type1
      1. cat1
      2. cat2
        1. subcat1
        2. subcat2
    2. type2
      1. cat1
      2. cat2
        1. subcat1
        2. subcat2

In the portal request offering, it is displayed as:

1. Type1
    2. cat1
    3. cat2
    4. subcat1
    5. subcat2
    6. type2
    7. cat1
    8. cat2
    9. subcat1

Has anyone else ran across this?

Has this been identified as bug?

Will this be fixed in RC or RTM?

Has anyone found a workaround?

Brody Kilpatrick brodykilpatrick at gmail dot com

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• I seems like this is by design and not a bug. Even if this type of list can be confusing to the users.

In SCSM 2012 RC it is like you described. The SCSM 2012 RTM version isn't available yet but I doubt it's changed.

A workaround could be the solution from Sam Erskine:

Creating a User Classification Field Using the Authoring Tool

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Why would this be by design?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:45 PM
  • We want our end-users to see the classifications available in the Incident Classification category.

The work around does not address the fact that the portal does not reflect a parent/child relationship among enumeration lists.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Does anyone else have problems with this?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

At this point, until there is a good enough workaround for you or it's changed, please report this as feedback:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenterservicemanager/thread/fad656b2-d87c-4d79-92b3-58224f70d26a

Patrik Sundqvist Solutions Architect @ Gridpro AB Blog: http://blogs.litware.se

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:21 AM
  • It looks like it is not available for feeback anymore.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:05 PM
  • We noticed the same thing with the parent/child issue in the portal. 

In general it seems like the tools available to layout the portal offerings are lacking.  We are trying to convert word doc forms into portal offerings and it is very difficult.  Not being able to have a mulit-select enumeration list is really killing us.  It would also be great if there were a way to have conditional questions so that the answer from one question would change the rest of the questions asked.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:14 PM
  • So it looks like we are unable to leave feedback/bugs at this point...unless I am doing something wrong. Please let me know if I am.

Is anyone having issues with the enumeration lists? Has anyone found a workaround?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:17 PM
  • I have same problem!

Has anyone found a workaround, this is case?!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:19 PM
  • I haven't found one yet, and they also went into RTM with this "feature." I have a silverlight guy that might help up out. If so, I will repost.

Brody Kilpatrick

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Connect Site for SCSM 2012: https://connect.microsoft.com/site799

And yes, still the same for RTM.

http://www.scsmsolutions.com/ freemanru (at) gmail (dot) com

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Anyone know if this is going to be fixed?
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:36 PM
  • I put a vote in on this one, from the comments sounds like it's going to be added. I expect it'll be factored in for SP1, probably Q4 this year, but no sooner.

A really big miss for us, and such an obvious flaw.

Monday, June 18, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Yeah, really hoping for a hotfix on this SOON.  This is something that was working in SM 2010 so its certainly a bug that needs to be fixed for 2012.  One of the major draws for us in using the SSP is the ability to help drill down as close as we can to the issue and this bug crushes that hope.  I am reluctant to deploy SM to production until this issue is fixed.

Guess we wait.  :-|

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:45 PM
  • In fact the more i try to use Parent/Child lists the more they frustrate me.

It'd be great to be able to reference a parent from a selected child for maybe something like a Query Result in a form. For example something I've been building in is Make and Model of a printer list, to be used in a custom configuration item class, and then from a form to request for toner a user could maybe search for Make or Model, depending on how they'd like to find the printer they're requesting toner for. Pretty simple stuff

When you add a printer to the configuration item class and select the Make/Model from the list, it will show as <Parent/Child> in the form, for example HP/CP2025. Making you think great I can reference the whole tree. But sadly this doesn't seem to be the case, everywhere else including the Query Results only sees the child :-(

That and the flat view means from now on, until this has been improved, I'll be creating flat lists.... HP - CP2025, HP - CP2020, HP - ...................

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:46 PM
  • We are having the same issue.  Has anyone found a fix for this?  Seems like a major oversight in my opinion.  We can't wait until Q4 for a resolution on this.
    Monday, June 25, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Just to let you know we are also facing some issues with this. Anyone has an update for a solution ?
    Monday, July 9, 2012 8:30 PM
  • October, UR3, no guaranties...

Rob Ford scsmnz.net

Monday, July 9, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Sounds good, does this tie-in with the news from WPC today that W8 will go general availability in October? Busy month for MSFT!

Andrew France - http://andrewsprivatecloud.wordpress.com

Monday, July 9, 2012 9:56 PM
  • October, UR3, no guaranties...

Rob Ford scsmnz.net

Do you have a source for this information?

Brody Kilpatrick

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:11 PM
  • Has there been hotfixes / updates released to address this issue?

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:45 AM
  • In this blog post Travis wrote in a comment this should be fixed in SP1:

FAQ: How Can I Create a Cascading Drop Down Classification in Service Manager (SCSM)?

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:26 AM
  • This is not fixed. We did an upgrade and the Web Portal does not show the tree view with subcategories.

Any ideas?

Thys Janse van Rensburg tewis_j@hotmail.com

Friday, January 25, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Guys,

Sorry. Forgot about adding the final step- good old reboot of the management server and portal server. All working as expected :)

Thys Janse van Rensburg tewis_j@hotmail.com

• Proposed as answer by ThysJVR Friday, January 25, 2013 2:17 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 2:17 PM
  • This is now fixed in Service Manager 2012 SP1:

http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastructure/hierarchical-list-support-in-scsm-2012-sp1-self-service-portal-easter-egg/

Nathan Lasnoski

http://blog.concurrency.com/author/nlasnoski/

Monday, April 1, 2013 5:03 PM