RDS User CAL reassignment RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up a Remote Desktop on a Server 2008 R2 server to replace an existing Terminal Services server. The RDS license server is set up on another Server 2008 R2 box and is serving RDS User CALs, of which I have over 200. Since we have some turnover, like a lot of businesses, we'd like to recoup the RDS User CAL when someone leaves. This is what I've found on Microsoft (emphasis mine):

In Per User or Per Device mode, a separate TS CAL is required for each user or device that accesses or uses the server software on any server. You may reassign a TS CAL from one device to another device, or from one user to another user, provided the reassignment is made either (a) permanently away from the one device or user or (b) temporarily to accommodate the use of the TS CAL either by a loaner device, while a permanent device is out of service, or by a temporary worker, while a regular employee is absent.

The question is how to accomplish the reassignment. I've looked, I think, pretty thoroughly through the Server 2008 R2 RDS area and don't see a reference to reassigning a RDS User CAL.

Would somebody please give me a link or the instructions on how to do this? I've got a few test users whose RDS CALs I'd like to reassign to real users.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When a person leaves your company if you delete their AD user account the count of Per User RDS CALs in use will decrease automatically.  You can test this yourself--create a Per User CAL Usage report in RD Licensing (licmgr.exe), delete your test users, create a new Per User CAL Usage report, export both reports to csv files and compare the RDS CALs in use numbers.

A RDS Per User CAL expires after 60 days of not being used.  What this means is that if you have a user account that has not logged on to one of your RDSH servers in the last 61 days they will not show up on the Per User CAL Usage report.

The above are implementation details of Per User RDS license tracking.  I will leave it up to you to decide what complies with the license agreement.  For example, what is the definition of permanently?  If an employee switches departments, does not use your RDSH servers for a year, and then starts using them again did you violate the EULA (assuming you reassigned the CAL)?  Perhaps you would say no in this example.  What about if the same thing happens for only a month duration?  Or a week?  Or a day?  At some point a reasonable person would say that you did not permanently reassign the license.

Just food for thought.  I would not worry about it much if you are not frequently reassigning CALs from one user to another and then back again.  Maybe the definition of permanently is at least 60 days?  By the way, Permanent Per Device RDS CALs are valid for 52-89 days, perhaps that is the definition.

-TP

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When a person leaves your company if you delete their AD user account the count of Per User RDS CALs in use will decrease automatically.  You can test this yourself--create a Per User CAL Usage report in RD Licensing (licmgr.exe), delete your test users, create a new Per User CAL Usage report, export both reports to csv files and compare the RDS CALs in use numbers.

A RDS Per User CAL expires after 60 days of not being used.  What this means is that if you have a user account that has not logged on to one of your RDSH servers in the last 61 days they will not show up on the Per User CAL Usage report.

The above are implementation details of Per User RDS license tracking.  I will leave it up to you to decide what complies with the license agreement.  For example, what is the definition of permanently?  If an employee switches departments, does not use your RDSH servers for a year, and then starts using them again did you violate the EULA (assuming you reassigned the CAL)?  Perhaps you would say no in this example.  What about if the same thing happens for only a month duration?  Or a week?  Or a day?  At some point a reasonable person would say that you did not permanently reassign the license.

Just food for thought.  I would not worry about it much if you are not frequently reassigning CALs from one user to another and then back again.  Maybe the definition of permanently is at least 60 days?  By the way, Permanent Per Device RDS CALs are valid for 52-89 days, perhaps that is the definition.

-TP

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Thanks, TP. I will give it a try today. I was tied up on Domain Controller / DNS issue yesterday and haven't had a chance to try it. Doesn't the deletion of a user impact your ability to audit? Maybe we'll just wait 60 days and recoup the CAL that way.

I'll discuss the implications of license agreement with my co-workers. I appreciate your insights on this topic.

-Allen

Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:31 PM