failed SQL express install on Server 2008 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to install Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition on a Server 2008 Standard SP2, which all ready includes SQL Server 2008. The installer includes SQL Server Express, which is failing without any error codes. 

Visual Web Developer only partly installs. The tools folder has a shortcut to Remote Debugger, as the only component to succeed. It seems this is the newest version of Visual Studio compatible with Server 2008 Standard.

My real goal is to create an empty Win Forms site bound to its existing SQL Server 2008 and then drop my completed development site pages into the production server. I need a successful complete install.

Thanks,

Kurt

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 2:52 PM

Answers

• I am attempting to install Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition on a Server 2008 Standard SP2, which all ready includes SQL Server 2008. The installer includes SQL Server Express, which is failing without any error codes. 

Visual Web Developer only partly installs. The tools folder has a shortcut to Remote Debugger, as the only component to succeed. It seems this is the newest version of Visual Studio compatible with Server 2008 Standard.

My real goal is to create an empty Win Forms site bound to its existing SQL Server 2008 and then drop my completed development site pages into the production server. I need a successful complete install.

Thanks,

Kurt

This is a Download problem. I suggest you take the .iso file from the following

Download

and consider VS 2012 instead.

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Friday, July 4, 2014 2:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    Based on your description, you had install SQL Server 2008 Standard edition, and you try to install the Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition SP1 with SQL Server 2008 Express, but SQL Server install failed with this error message: "A component could not be downloaded".

When install SQL Server express, it will download files from website, please verify the issue is not caused by the network issue.

You can try to review the SQL Server Setup log for more details. The dafult path is:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\.

You can also try to download the SQL Server 2008 express from the following link and install separately.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=1695

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 4, 2014 1:52 AM

Thanks,

Kurt

This is a Download problem. I suggest you take the .iso file from the following

Download

and consider VS 2012 instead.

Friday, July 4, 2014 2:13 AM
  • It seems VS 2012 is not compatible with Server 2008 Standard.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34673

It seems VS 2010 is compatible and I just burned an ISO to attempt an installation.

Monday, July 7, 2014 12:58 PM
  • VS 2012 should work with SS 2008 standard. I am sure to this.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:58 AM
  • Using physical media VS2010 Express Web is installed and my site pages are now live. It would be great to get VS2012 working. I may give it a try.

Concerning the 'download' issue, I would not consider this to be a network issue. I see it as a failure of the installer. This server is quite able to download OS and application  from MS Updates. I have not other issues downloading anything. 50 end users have their desktops and library folders hosted locally on the server, thus there are no network issues. Something is causing the installer to time out and quit. Looking at the installed programs I see SQL 2005, 2008, 2008R2, and 2012. VS SQL Server Management opens the 2005 instance. I don't know the history of this server and why so many sql instances are present. Perhaps this configuration is the cause of the installer failures. 

• Edited by Swain IT Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:08 PM forgot root cause issue
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 11:59 AM
  • I used physical media to attempt installing VS2012 on the Server 2008 Standard. The installer immediately determines the OS and then terminates with a dialog stating a newer OS is required. It seems VS2010 will have to do.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 4:46 PM