Virus in a CD RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday, I bought a CD game to set up in my computer. I inserted it into my computer. When I opened its crake file, my computer's anti virus, Norman security, said that virus was found but it can't be removed. Immediatly, i ejected that CD. Will it influence on my computer?
    Sunday, June 6, 2010 7:05 AM

Answers

• Yesterday, I bought a CD game to set up in my computer. I inserted it into my computer. When I opened its crake file, my computer's anti virus, Norman security, said that virus was found but it can't be removed. Immediatly, i ejected that CD. Will it influence on my computer?

Hi

There is no way we can tell what was removed and if the computer has been infected?

I would suggest using a few online virus scanners to check your computer. You can find these using your favorite search engine.

Microsoft has an online scanner available for Windows 7. Go to the following website and click on the Full Service Scan button.

Windows Live OneCare safety scanner: Free online tool

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, June 6, 2010 7:17 AM

All replies

Hi

There is no way we can tell what was removed and if the computer has been infected?

I would suggest using a few online virus scanners to check your computer. You can find these using your favorite search engine.

Microsoft has an online scanner available for Windows 7. Go to the following website and click on the Full Service Scan button.

Windows Live OneCare safety scanner: Free online tool

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, June 6, 2010 7:17 AM
  • It is likely that your "Norton" security program found the security threat within the crack file you were attempting to install while the CD was in the drive.  The most likely reason for the failure to remove it was because since the crack was located on a non-writable CD your security program was not able to delete it from that particular media like you would had that file been on something such as a flash drive.

The best thing to do if you suspect you may be infected is update your security protection software to its latest version and definitions and proceed with a full scan.

Monday, June 7, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Where did you obtain this disk? Norton may have given a false alarm.

For A/V second opinion Download MS Security Essentials and scan the CD.

Monday, June 7, 2010 5:11 AM