none
Migrating from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013 and then to Cloud. RRS feed

• Question

• Friends,

Going back to this subject, I found some steps indicated by a lblog friend.

- Implementing Exchange 2013
    - Digital Certificate Settings
    - Configure Exchange-related virtual directories
    - Configuration of DNS (Legacy)
    - Configure Offline Address Book (OAB)
    - Move Internet Mail Flow from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013
    - Move Client Access from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013
    - Move mailboxes from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013
    - Move public folder data from Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2013
    - Dismantling Exchange 2007
    - Office 365 Setup
    - Enable hybrid
    - Configure AD Connect
    - Move mailboxes to Office 365

I was in doubt on some points:

1 - As soon as I install Exchange 2013, will users already connected in Exchange 2007 make some kind of connection in Exchange 2013, example (autodiscovery SCP)?

2 - Will new users who are in Exchange 2007 being configured in Outlook be directed to Exchange 2007? Or for Exchange 2013 and then for Exchange 2007?

3 - Is the configuration of the message flow in Exchange 2007 only to send the emails out of the organization, after defining that Exchange 2013 will be the main one for the email entry? In Exchange 2007 I do not do anything? Only in Exchange 2013?

4 - There is a step that is the inclusion of a record called "Legacy", both in Internal DNS and External DNS. Does this mean that users who are in Exchange 2007 should use this FQDN, after defining that Exchange 2013 is the primary (say: virtual site settings)?

5 - Do users in Exchange 2007, when they are moved to Exchange 2013, only receive a warning that their mailox has undergone a change and needs to be restarted? Once this is done, it is connected to Exchange 2013.

I have never installed a new Exchange in an environment that already has a previous Exchange in work. My fear is that once you install it, you're already working with one kind of impact.

Thank you.
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 8:26 PM

All replies

• Your best option is to follow Microsoft Exchange Server Deployment Assistant, just answer few questions about your environment then get step-wise checklist to accomplish task.

You may also get help from below links:

Step-By-Step guide for Migrating from Exchange 2007 to Office 365: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2013/11/19/step-by-step-migrating-from-exchange-2007-to-office-365/

Step-by-Step Guide to Migrate from Exchange Server 2007 to Exchange Server 2013: http://mstechtalk.com/step-by-step-guide-to-migrate-from-exchange-server-2007-to-exchange-server-2013/

Hope this helps!

Migrate mailboxes, Public Folders, Outlook profiles and rules and GAL etc. to-and-fro Exchange Servers and Office 365 with LepideMigrator for Exchange

Friday, December 9, 2016 11:02 AM
  • Why you go for Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013 then to cloud?

You can directly move from Exchange 2007 to O365: Please refer links for more information: 
    Infoworld Article, Another Article

Peter,

Yes, I could go straight using the CUTOVER method, however I do have some needs after the migration.

One of these is password synchronization.

For me to have the synchronization, I need an Exchange On-premises to manage the email accounts of the users who will be on the cloud. (Change aliases, user name, and so on)

In addition, the hybrid method interests me because it is transparent to users, because after the migration it will receive a message in Microsoft Outlook stating that it needs to be restarted after undergoing exchange server changes.

So, I think of installing Exchange 2013 first, because it's a newer version than Exchange 2010 (which I probably will not have support in case of a problem).

My main question is:

- With Exchange 2007 running and my users connected and working ...
    - After installing Exchange 2013 on my domain, will users initially be affected?
    - Will they get any message that they will connect in Exchange 2013?
    - Will the email flow be affected?

Or not, after the installation of Exchange 2013, initially they will not notice anything?

Only after configuring mail flow, OWA configuration, and Active Sync to use Exchange 2013 as the primary, will they switch to Exchange 2013 for front end and Exchange 2007 for mailbox database only?

Thank you.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 10:06 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the users will be affected. Several virtual directory will be changed.

Please see: http://silbers.net/blog/2014/01/22/exchange-20072013-coexistence-urls/

If you don't move mailboxes to Exchange server 2013, it should be.

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. And the changes made in the above blog is not supported officially by Microsoft.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 16, 2016 9:30 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the users will be affected. Several virtual directory will be changed.

Please see: http://silbers.net/blog/2014/01/22/exchange-20072013-coexistence-urls/

If you don't move mailboxes to Exchange server 2013, it should be.

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. And the changes made in the above blog is not supported officially by Microsoft.

Regards,

Jason Chao

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hi,

I liked the blog.

Regarding the bases stayed in 2007, I thought of migrating to 2013 to be able to uninstall 2007.

But Ed said I do not need to move from 2007 to 2013 and then to the cloud. That I could do it straight.

I can not imagine how that process would move, straight from 2007 to 0365, using 2013 as the frontend.

Thank you.
    Friday, December 16, 2016 2:23 PM
  • You can deploy Exchange 2013 servers, configure them with the Hybrid Configuration Wizard, and migrate mailboxes directly to Office 365. 

Post Exchange 2013 deployment, you can go two routes:

- Disable SCP for your Exchange 2013 servers and use 2013 for MRS/hybrid moves and mail flow only

- obtain updated certificates and move autodiscover to Exchange 2013 servers.

I've done both for customers, and either will work.  If you only have people connecting from on-premises, you can get away with disabling SCP for Exchange 2013 and just using it for MRS / mail flow.  On-premises autodiscover will work, but Autodiscover requests from outside of the LAN will fail.  If you want true hybrid coexistence, you'll want to move autodiscover to Exchange 2013.  You can still disable SCP internally during the deployment so your users don't get the configuration / redirect popup.

Follow the guidance in the Exchange Server Deployment assistant.

Friday, December 16, 2016 9:46 PM
  • You can deploy Exchange 2013 servers, configure them with the Hybrid Configuration Wizard, and migrate mailboxes directly to Office 365. 

Post Exchange 2013 deployment, you can go two routes:

- Disable SCP for your Exchange 2013 servers and use 2013 for MRS/hybrid moves and mail flow only

- obtain updated certificates and move autodiscover to Exchange 2013 servers.

I've done both for customers, and either will work.  If you only have people connecting from on-premises, you can get away with disabling SCP for Exchange 2013 and just using it for MRS / mail flow.  On-premises autodiscover will work, but Autodiscover requests from outside of the LAN will fail.  If you want true hybrid coexistence, you'll want to move autodiscover to Exchange 2013.  You can still disable SCP internally during the deployment so your users don't get the configuration / redirect popup.

Follow the guidance in the Exchange Server Deployment assistant.

Aaron,

This is my concern.

I have migration project of clients with Exchange 2007 who want password synchronization, so I need to keep an Exchange On-premises only for editing the user objects.

But when I install a new exchange in the organization, I'm sure that the users already connected in Exchange 2007 would be affected by the SCP.

I thought of using hybrid only to avoid a flurry of reconfiguration of profiles and also to do gradually, instead of methods like cutover that needs to be done in a single time (during a weekend, they impact the users).

I wanted to listen exactly to the opinion of a person who had lived in the day to day with this type of scenario and you appeared to save me.

So, see if I understand what you said:

- Can I install Exchange 2013 and disable SCP for Exchange 2013 servers

or

- Use configure Exchange 2013 as if it were my primary server, but the mailboxes would continue in Exchange 2007.

I do not understand what you mean ("I've done both for customers, and either will work.").

Using the SCP deactivation solution, anyone outside the company will not be able to access configure their e-mail boxes using autodiscovery.

The Exchange Server Deployment assistant me to use the using the staging migration solution. I even like it, because I can do it a little, reconfiguring profile by profile.

But the conversion part of the users is the one that does not please. Errors can occur and this worries me.

My idea of ​​installing an Exchange 2013 is spending a lot of time and it becomes expensive for small migrations of up to 100 users.

One question that has come to my mind now is whether using staged migration can I keep Exchange 2007 to manage cloud users? Is it supported with synchronization? Or will I have to install a newer one after the migration?

Thank you.

Saturday, December 17, 2016 1:34 AM
  • Hi,

You must use an Office 365 account that is a member of the Organization Management role group to connect the EAC to your Exchange Online organization.

It’s supported with synchronization but not for all.

It’s recommended to install a new one.

Please refer to: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mspfe/2013/10/08/exchange-2007-on-premises-to-hybrid-deployment-with-office365/

Hope it’s helpful for you.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 9:23 AM