System gets completely unresponsive - Have to power cycle RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running Windows Server 2016 Tech Preview 4 for about a week now. The system gets unresponsive without fail within 24 hours, and I have to power cycle. Luckily ReFS is great so the storage pools come up fine - no need to chkdsk - thank goodness. 

Are others finding tech preview 4 stable?

• Edited by Gautam_Das Saturday, February 6, 2016 9:13 PM
    Saturday, February 6, 2016 9:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

If it is a physical server, make sure that it meets the system requirements(reference below link), check and upgrade related hardware drivers:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt126134.aspx

Besides, disable any 3rd party process, including anti-virus program, then check the result. 

If the problem persists, does this happened on specific operation/time? Any event has been logged in Event Viewer? Any change before this problem happened? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 6:16 AM
  • I agree with Eve.  I have been running TP4 on a number of systems for weeks with no stability issues.  Don't recall the last time I rebooted them.  My systems are on windowsservercatalog.com as validated for 2012 R2.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 2:05 PM
  • System details

8Core AMD 8350 Processor

Gigabyte Technology Motherboard - 990FXA-UD3 Rev4

12 GB Ram

2 x 1GB NICs -

6 Disks - OS on a 250 GB Drive and 5 x 2TB Drives in a Storage Pool.

No CD/DVD - installed from USB

Windows Defender

Only third party Service running is Axis Camera Station Service.

Primary use of the Storage Pool is SMB shares for continuously streaming Axis Camera Video, backups of a couple Windows 10 Pro PCs, and Time Machine space for a couple Macs.

I just updated the BIOS yesterday and want to wait and see if that fixes the issue. 

I was running this machine as a BSD FreeNAS server for months with zero issues. It was up for over 6 months and I decided to try out 2016 Storage Spaces.

• Edited by Gautam_Das Tuesday, February 9, 2016 2:39 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 2:37 PM
  • I don't find a Gigabyte 990FXA listed on windowsservercatalog.com.  In other words, Gigabyte, or some other OEM, either never ran tests to validate it against Windows Server 2012, or they did and they found it was not stable, so they decided not to support it.  Only Gigabyte can answer that question.

"I was running this machine as a BSD FreeNAS server for months with zero issues"

Good.  That means it runs fine with FreeNAS.  Each operating system puts different stresses on the hardware and has different requirements.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:56 PM
  • Also an identical machine with 16GB Ram and 2 Disks is running Windows 10 Pro with no problem.

Is there something I could look for in the logs/event viewer? Would be nice to know what it does not like about the machine. Suggestions?
    • Edited by Gautam_Das Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:52 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:50 PM
  • Looks like the BIOS update worked.  System did not lock up for over 36 hours. Yay!

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:20 PM