none
Keep Win 10 Enterp Activated on clients

Question

• I have been trying to find an answer and coming up short. Here's my situation,

- Using Windows 10 Enterprise with plenty of purchased Windows licenses.
    - I have 25 clients at a remote facility with no internet, phone.
    - I plan on only going out once to install but will be leaving bootable install recovery image for them if a station goes down.
    - Using a MAK key for enterprise and activating it locally at my site before gathering the image.
    - Can't use VAMT because there is no sever/main station just the 25 clients
    - All 25 clients are same hardware.

With Win NT. 2000, XP, and 7 I didn't have a problem gathering and deploying with an active windows, and having it remain active. Now with Win 10 the image goes down fine but the on the clients, Windows isn't active.

I need a way to deploy an activated windows and keep it active. I have no way of activating it via VAMT or KMS. Additionally, I need to be able to provide the site with bootable rapid recovery media (Ie windows already activated) where if they have to replace a hard drive or part in the station it isn't deactivated.

I have started looking at IoT and LTSB as options but I have the sinking feeling they will have the same issue. Need to get it back to a point like with Win 7 where it just worked when the image was deployed. I know MSFT is trying to stop piracy but I have legit licenses and need it to work.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How did you deploy these 25 computers? I noticed that you mentioned that you have no Server and KMS?

Did you install them manually using the removable installation media one by one and enter the product key one by one?

If yes, did you mean when you using the system recovery image to restore these computer, the activation status is lost?

Your activation is linked to your hardware. This means that you can restore images any number of times or install Windows as often as you like without running into problems with the activation.

Unless you have at least one Volume License, you are not allowed to use an image you make on one machine and use it on another. This is especially true with OEM and activation technologies attempting to use one key on multiple machines. Volume Licensing allows for use of the VL key on all machines.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If yes, please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:44 AM