• Question

• Hello all -- I am a new poster - long time planner

I am using MS Proj 2013

Activity 1 has two successors, Activity 2 & Activity 3

Activity 1 ends 10/20/14 5pm

Activity 2 starts 10/21/14 8am

Activity 3 starts 10/20/14 5pm

Activity 2&3 have no other predecessors or constraints

Why is activity 3 starting the same day as Activity 1 finishes?

Thank you for your assistance in advance

Friday, October 17, 2014 2:50 PM

Answers

• In the file menu, options, schedule, check if the default start time is 8am and if the hours per day correspond with the working hours specified in your project calendar.

Then also check the project start date in the project tab, project information.

Last, try to reproduce your issue in a new blank project. If you cannot (like I cannot), try to delete the 3 tasks and recreate them.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

• Marked as answer by JPD PMI-SP Friday, October 17, 2014 7:33 PM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 6:21 PM

All replies

• JPD,

Are you using the standard calendar? Do any of the three tasks have anything other than NA in the Actual Start field? Does activity 3 have resources assigned? If so, what is that resource's calendar (e.g. Standard or custom)? Are all three activities auto-scheduled? Do you have calculation set for automatic?

Those are the starter questions. Let's see what that yields and then go from there.

By the way, do you have SP1 installed?

John

Friday, October 17, 2014 3:59 PM
  • Hi JPD,

I would imagine that the calendar for Activity 3 is not following the standard 'Out of the box' 8-5 mon-fri.  perhaps you are using a 'Task Calendar'?

What is the duration of Activity 1? 

you should consider using the 'Task Usage' View and use the 'Hours' timescale.  Using this view you will be able to analyze exactly what's going on throughout the course of the day

Let me know how you get on

• Edited by Tom_Henry Friday, October 17, 2014 4:43 PM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

If you didn't already do it, try first to display the time in the date format. John gave you the right answer I guess: you should check the working hours of your project calendar, it might go after 5pm, such the activity 3 can start at 5pm the same day the previous activity ends.

Also check if the task has a specific calendar which would have precedence over the project calendar.

Hope this helps,

Friday, October 17, 2014 4:54 PM
  • Are you using the standard calendar?  Yes

Do any of the three tasks have anything other than NA in the Actual Start field? No

Does activity 3 have resources assigned? If so, what is that resource's calendar (e.g. Standard or custom)? No resources

Are all three activities auto-scheduled? yes 

Do you have calculation set for automatic? Yes

Those are the starter questions. Let's see what that yields and then go from there.

By the way, do you have SP1 installed? Not sure (MS Project 2013 15.0.4420.1017 MSO 15.0.4615.1000 32bit

Friday, October 17, 2014 6:13 PM
  • None is calendar on Task

Activity 1 = 1 day

I will look at task usage

Friday, October 17, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Don't think Task usage will help as no resources or work is assigned
    Friday, October 17, 2014 6:16 PM
  • In the file menu, options, schedule, check if the default start time is 8am and if the hours per day correspond with the working hours specified in your project calendar.

Then also check the project start date in the project tab, project information.

Last, try to reproduce your issue in a new blank project. If you cannot (like I cannot), try to delete the 3 tasks and recreate them.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by JPD PMI-SP Friday, October 17, 2014 7:33 PM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 6:21 PM
  • does activity 3 have any other predecessors? 

also check the leveling delay on the task, maybe you accidently added that.

A quick fix is to simply delete Activity 3 then recreate it.. that usually works for me when there is a 'glitch' in the system

let me know how you get on

Tom

• Proposed as answer by Tom_Henry Friday, October 17, 2014 9:11 PM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 6:24 PM
  • Is activity 3 a milestone task with zero duration?  Milestones do not pay attention to working versus non-working time.  Is the duration of Activity 3 expressed in elapsed duration - the duration shows as "ed" or "eh"?
    Friday, October 17, 2014 7:18 PM
  • By the way, do you have SP1 installed? Not sure (MS Project 2013 15.0.4420.1017 MSO 15.0.4615.1000 32bit

I believe you do not have SP1 installed. Pls install it and try again (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42013).
    Friday, October 17, 2014 7:29 PM
  • Deleting the problem task is the answer, I then just filtered through the schedule and found activities that started at 5pm without a zero day duration and deleted those and re-created.
    Friday, October 17, 2014 7:34 PM
  • JPD,

Sounds like you had some file corruption. Deleting and re-creating the problem tasks may have solved your immediate issue but without a clear understanding of why it happened, you might want to save the file to XML and then re-open in Project. That usually clears most corruption issues.

You need to install SP1. Follow the link Ismet provided.

John

Friday, October 17, 2014 7:41 PM
  • I'm glad that worked.  As John said, try installing SP1 :)

Friday, October 17, 2014 9:12 PM