Hidden/Locked Folders Showing Up In IE 8 and Not In Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched and searched for an answer to this, so if someone could point me in the right direction, please ...

While attempting to save some files via IE8 I noticed that it was showing two folders in my save directory that had a locked folder icon associated with them.  I could open them in IE8's save dialogue boxes and could save files to them.  However, upon exiting IE8 and attempting to access the folders via Win Explorer, the folders had disappeared.

I have changed the "Show hidden files/folders" option in Folder Options and have checked the registry to make sure the value was correct.  Still no progress in viewing those folders/files in Windows Explorer or any other program (except for IE8).

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:14 PM

Answers

• What is your action? Download anything from IE or “Save” a webpage from IE? What is the location you would like to save to? The folders with a lock icon are system folders, their owner is SYSTEM. You may not have permissions to modify them. 
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:49 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

First, the folder with a lock means you have set the feature "stop share" by right clicking the folder. Have you done that before?

With the prompt window from IE8, you will know the path of the folders, copy them and paste in the start commond to open them.

Also you can right click on the two folders and check who have the privilege to write\read the folder.

Open internet explorer properties, "Shortcut" tab, after "Target", is there any parameters after "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"? We will see if IE was opened in "Run as administrator" mode.

In addition, does your user account have administrator privilege?
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:55 AM
  • What is your action? Download anything from IE or “Save” a webpage from IE? What is the location you would like to save to? The folders with a lock icon are system folders, their owner is SYSTEM. You may not have permissions to modify them. 
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:49 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:20 AM