APP-v Managment Server Replacement APPV 4.X to 4.X (Identical Server Name, just OS uplift) RRS feed

• Question

• APP-v Managment Server Replacement APPV 4.X to 4.X (Identical Server Name, just OS uplift)

Hello,

We have only found information regarding the SQL Server DB Migration of the APPV. What if someones wants to stay with Version 4.X and replace just the OS. As example:

Server 2003R2 > 2008R2

Server 2008R2 > 2012

a) Is Appv 4.X Management Server supported on Server 2012?

b) If the Server name should be the same just change of the OS version (As example Hardware replacement, if physical [Without Acronis try]) what is or what would be your favorite way of doing this?

c) I come from Exchange/ADS/Deployment side and direct upgrade was never a good solution for us.

d) We also want cleat this up in terms of disaster recovery not based on Acronis or Snapshots on Storage (How fast we can get it in place again)

Any help is welcome ;-) We have all the info for the SQL Migration. We would like to know the rest like content share. Management Steaming Services etc.

Greetings From Switzerland

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

a) 4.6 SP2 and 5.0 are supported on Server 2012.

b) If it was me, I would use the opportunity to move to version 5.0. I would start converting my applications and upgrade the existing servers to 4.6 SP2. Then I would gradually replace with new servers with 5.0. I would do this because, you are going to be making an effort as it is to just port over to the new servers and in the future may have to go to more effort when you do decide to upgrade, so why not just kill 2 birds with one stone.

c) If you do go down the upgrade path, obviously a backup is critical! If your DB's are being taking care of and you are using the same 'content' share. If you do keep things consistent with how it's setup now, there should not be much work involved. If not, you may need to modify your client settings to ensure they point to the correct server and/or share.

d) What would you like to do exactly? Will you be placing the servers in a cluster? I guess how long depends on the numbers of servers, your current backend setup for doing that kind of work and your experience with those kinds of solutions. But it shouldn't take long.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Edited by RorymonMVP Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:58 PM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brandon RecordsModerator Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:26 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

a) 4.6 SP2 and 5.0 are supported on Server 2012.

b) If it was me, I would use the opportunity to move to version 5.0. I would start converting my applications and upgrade the existing servers to 4.6 SP2. Then I would gradually replace with new servers with 5.0. I would do this because, you are going to be making an effort as it is to just port over to the new servers and in the future may have to go to more effort when you do decide to upgrade, so why not just kill 2 birds with one stone.

c) If you do go down the upgrade path, obviously a backup is critical! If your DB's are being taking care of and you are using the same 'content' share. If you do keep things consistent with how it's setup now, there should not be much work involved. If not, you may need to modify your client settings to ensure they point to the correct server and/or share.

d) What would you like to do exactly? Will you be placing the servers in a cluster? I guess how long depends on the numbers of servers, your current backend setup for doing that kind of work and your experience with those kinds of solutions. But it shouldn't take long.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Edited by RorymonMVP Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:58 PM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brandon RecordsModerator Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:26 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Since the App-V Management Server 4.x installation is not really rocket-science I'd go for a new installation (Install W2012 from scratch, then install App-V Management Server 4). Supposed you have a propper documentation of the initial installation.

While the installation itself is not that tricky, there are two, three post-configurations that are not obvious. and if the documentation is weak, you could get some trouble. Therefor, I'd recommend you to make a full backup of the existing machine (just in case).

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

• Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:18 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:47 AM