none
Filtering the file name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys 

I am writing a script to extract the file name without the extension by using the below.

$input is using the get-file to pick up the file in directory.

$FN = split-Path -path $input -Leaf -Resolve

$input = $FN.split('.')[0] 

But i neglected that there are quite a number of file that use more than one period(.)

How do i set the filter to delimit the last period before extgension without knowing how many period is in that file?

Friday, July 29, 2016 8:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Use the BaseName property instead of trying to parse:

PS C:\Scripts\PowerShell Scripts\Misc Testing\7-29-2016> ls

Directory: C:\Scripts\PowerShell Scripts\Misc Testing\7-29-2016

Mode                LastWriteTime     Length Name                                                                                                                        
    ----                -------------     ------ ----                                                                                                                        
    -a---         7/29/2016   8:58 AM         14 Some.Long.File.Name.txt                                                                                                     

PS C:\Scripts\PowerShell Scripts\Misc Testing\7-29-2016> (Get-Item .\Some.Long.File.Name.txt).BaseName
    Some.Long.File.Name

• Marked as answer by Noobpie Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:54 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 12:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

this should work:

$myPoint="my.very.long.filename.with.many.dots.txt"

$mypoint.substring(0,$mypoint.LastIndexOf("."))

This post is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.
    ~~~
    Questo post non fornisce garanzie e non conferisce diritti

• Edited by aperelli Friday, July 29, 2016 9:06 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 9:06 AM
  • "$input" is a reserved variable.  You cannot use it or assign to it.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, July 29, 2016 10:40 AM
  • Hi,

Use the BaseName property instead of trying to parse:

PS C:\Scripts\PowerShell Scripts\Misc Testing\7-29-2016> ls

Directory: C:\Scripts\PowerShell Scripts\Misc Testing\7-29-2016

Mode                LastWriteTime     Length Name                                                                                                                        
    ----                -------------     ------ ----                                                                                                                        
    -a---         7/29/2016   8:58 AM         14 Some.Long.File.Name.txt                                                                                                     

PS C:\Scripts\PowerShell Scripts\Misc Testing\7-29-2016> (Get-Item .\Some.Long.File.Name.txt).BaseName
    Some.Long.File.Name

• Marked as answer by Noobpie Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:54 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 12:59 PM