none
Exmerge - Exchange 2003 Export of PST to Exchange 2010SP1 Import of PST.

Question

• Hi all

Thought I would share some recent experiences in using Exmerge to bulk export to PST files an Exchange 2003 system, then Import these PST files into a new Exchange 2010 SP1 RU2 system.

Had some issues doing this, even though it should be straight forward.

Basically I had a SBS2003 system and was replacing this system with a Server 2008R2 SP1 and Exchange 2010 SP1 RU2 system.

The theroy was to export out the <2GB mailboxes using Exmerge. (Exmerge is ANSI and can only export <2GB files)

Manually use Outlook 2003 to export out the few users who had larger than 2GB mailboxes to PST.

Use the new Import PST procedure in Exchange 2010SP1 and bulk import all the PST files.

(Obviously both Exchange servers are modified to allow Administrator permissions to do this) 

We wanted a "Clean New System" for the 30 odd users.

These are the issues I disscovered:

While trying to import SOME of the PST files on the Exchange 2010 SP1 RU2 server you get the following issue:

The import simply stops. (Get-MailboxImportRequest | Get-MailboxImportRequestStatistics | ft TargetAlias,Percent*,BytesTransferred*)

The following error shows in the Event logs.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchange Mailbox Replication
    Date:          6/03/2011 7:24:01 PM
    Event ID:      1100
    Task Category: Request
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SERVER.oem.local
    Description:
    Request 'RequestGuid (da7040fd-26ea-4ae9-8a59-3c8c9edb24e2), RequestQueue: (f771b22a-e392-46ce-8359-5aeee29c305a)' (da7040fd-26ea-4ae9-8a59-3c8c9edb24e2) failed.
    Error code: -2146233088
    This mailbox exceeded the maximum number of corrupted items that were specified for this move request.
    Context:

Using Outlook 2003 in Exchange Non Cached Mode to manually import the same PST file comes up with the following error:

The operation failed.

Using Outlook 2010 in Exchange Non Cached Mode to manually import the same PST file comes up with the following error:

Some items cannot be copied. They were either moved or deleted, or access was denied.

I tried a third party product - Systools Exchange Export Import Wizard (Fully Functional one day trial)

This says it has completed the import however upon closer inspection mail is missing. (Mail item count incorrect)

Using Exmerge to import the same PST files back into an Exchange 2003 server works fine.

I have also tried running Office 2003 and 2010 SCANPST against a PST file that wont import to check for corruption.

(Bearing in mind that using Exmerge to import to another Exchange 2003 works fine.)

Both say the file has issues and fixes it, you run it again and it still says it has issues and fixes it.

On the fourth running it now says no errors, but if i run with the other office version fails again.

I read somewhere about an issue with Deep Nested HTML in emails that may cause this problem.

The workaround was to manually import the PST using Outlook in Exchange Cached Mode.

Sure enough this works.

(I can no longer find this article)

Exchange 2010SP1 Rollup Update 2 was suppose to fix issues similar to this.

Obviously it doesnt.

I have seen other articles similar to this issue where people increase the BadItem count when doing the Import procedure.

Not sure this is an acceptable workaround or solution.

I think someone from Microsoft needs to look further into these issues.

I also think that Microsoft should create an Exmerge2010 GUI utility to perform this sort of operation.

(Even if it is just PowerShell scripts in the background)

Make it capable of importing and exporting >2GB PST files (UNICODE)

Make it basically the same as the old Exmerge as this worked very nicely indeed.

If you agree with me perhaps say so here on this discussion.

• Changed type Jeff Ren Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:25 AM
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:10 AM

All replies

• I'm glad I found this article!

I'm migrating an SBS2003 server to SBS2011. I am following the same process as you: export using exmerge, import using new-mailboximportrequest. Most of the imports fail due to the "... maximum number of corrupted items..." problem.

I'll try and import using Outlook from the PST files after I have migrated the users on to the new system.

Monday, January 16, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Same here. Cost me a weekend. Saterday morning import pst files. Sunday afternoon we realize that not all mail is back. Some subfolders in Outlook are completely empty. We checked only 3 outlooks of the 25. All three misses Mb of e-mail. We then had to put everything back to the old domain.

Thanks Microsoft. I hope you Microsoft people realize that some people are administrators for a living. I have seen things with SBS-2011 this weekend which i thought it didn't excist since Vista, but here it is.

O ye, I had installed SP2 of Exchange 2010 and the pst files had all the mail and yes, the pst's are smaller then 2 Gb. And going to importing pst with Outlook ? No way. I don't have the time. And o man, what am i glad i didn't chose for a migration from sbs-2003 to sbs-2011.

I will have a look at that Digiscope. May be they can do things Microsoft can't.

And yes i am mad.

Monday, March 05, 2012 11:56 AM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this? I am trying to do a migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011, essentially exactly what you all seem to be doing. One of the users has as an PST of over 8 gig, but ALL of the users, no matter how small or large their mail box, get the message "Some items cannot be copied. They were either moved or deleted, or access was denied." The are all missing mail also.

I have tried to to run the PSTs through the scanpst utility and also tried breaking them up into small pieces for import. None of these work. My next attempt will be pull down an evaluation copy of Office 2010 x64 and try to import via Outlook. I'm lucky that there are only 5 users, but this is sure causing a lot of aggravation!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:04 AM
  • 1. If you want to skip the whole PST shuffle operation check out Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp which will allow you to open the offline copy of the 2003 Database and then import the data directly into the Exchange 2010 production server.

2. There have been quite a few issues with the 2010 import/export cmdlets so first thing I would suggest to to patch the 2010 server to the hilt, which would be SP2 RU1 and try again

3.  However since you only have a few mailboxes then I would suggest that you open each mailbox with Outlook 2003 or greater and export the data to Unicode PST which has a 20GB limit on Outlook 2003/2007 and a 50GB limit on Outlook 2010.  Once exported you can then import them via Outlook into the 2010 server. If you still run into the issue then the only other option would be to use a 3rd party utility like Lucid8's DigiScope.

Regardless of the method you use you will need to address the LegacyExchangeDN issue  Here is a link that describes the issue  http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Understanding-LegacyExchangeDN.html , but in short POST moving of data from one domain/forest to another there is an MS problem where imported messages calendar items/appointments made from the old system will  fail on acceptance, updates and other replies and modifications may not work right because the X500 addresses from the original Exchange server cannot resolve to the mailboxes in the new Exchange server.

Here are some details about that problem and how to resolve. Basically, you need to obtain the legacyExchangeDN from the old Exchange install to be added to the new recipients as an X500 format ProxyAddress entry. It's not too bad to do, once you know what to do but it can cause a major amount of frustration for the administrator and end users

Here is a simple “how to” method http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2009/05/21/cannot-reply-to-old-emails-or-modify-old-calendar-items-after-pst-mail-migration.aspx

Here is another article that may be more helpful as well http://www.simple-talk.com/sysadmin/exchange/exchange-e-mail-addresses-and-the-outlook-address-cache/

Also  check out this MS forum issue that discusses it in detail as well http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/f99244d7-facf-4ad9-a83e-f6d3baa1ba8b/

Microsoft also makes a LegacyExchangeDN tool http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=19034 The Tool is not really needed it just makes some of the change processes a bit easier than using ADSIEdit and the above first  article shows how to use this tool

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Hello Larry 1948,

Or take Outlook 2010 and connect it at the same time to both Exchange servers. Use Pandali with it if you want, 30 days free. What i did was Exmerge, export between dates and that several times for different years. then import in Outlook.

Succes.
    Marty

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Yup either of those would work, however you would be authenticating across tow domains to get outlook to see both which can be a pain at times.  Also  if you use ExMerge you need to keep an eye on the PST's to ensure they never go over 2GB else it will corrupt the PST and unfortunately ExMerge will not warn you :-(

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:38 PM