locked
After mailbox migration to Exchange 2013, Outlook 2013 shows Disconnected RRS feed

  • Question

  • Environment:

    - Exchange 2010 SP3

    - Exchange 2013 SP1 (CU5)

    - Outlook 2013 (All Updates installed)

    Issue:

    I moved a users mailbox today from Exchange 2010 over to Exchange 2013 and the move completed with no issues. The user was then prompted to restart their Outlook which they did and the mailbox has now stayed in a "Disconnected" state. 

    If I perform a "Test E-mail AutoConfiguration" I am seeing the following error:

    Autodiscover to https://autodiscover.domain.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml Failed (0x800C8204)

    The Account Settings are also all pointing still to the old Exchange 2010 Server and has not updated. 

    Any ides what could be causing this?

    I am guessing Autodiscover but new mailboxes created on Exchange 2013 work fine. 

    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:35 PM

Answers

  • Update:

    User just calls me and tells me his mailbox has started working now on its own! I am confused...

    His Outlook 2013 version is 15.0.4605.1003. 

    I am wondering if he has the issue described in this KB:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2863911

    Problem is issue was resolved before I could upgrade his Office Version. I am going to ensure before I do any more mailbox moves that users have the latest Outlook version installed. 

    • Marked as answer by JRATechNet Friday, July 4, 2014 11:37 AM
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:56 PM

All replies

  • Update:

    This is very interesting! If I then try and re-create the MAPI profile everything completes except for "Logging on to the mail server". Almost like it is being denied logon to Exchange 2013 for some reason on a brand new profile. 

    I have quite a few users logging on to this server and Outlook is working fine for them including myself. 

    This user was only created today. Could that be an issue? User is showing in all Domain Controllers as created so shouldn't be an issue right?

    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:55 PM
  • where is your autodiscover.domain.com is pointing to -- ex2010 or 2013?

    Where Technology Meets Talent

    Thursday, July 3, 2014 3:34 AM
  • The autodiscover.domain.com is pointing to the Exchange 2010 server. What I did was set the Exchange 2013 server to have the autodiscover URL's of outlook.domain.com and then also change the SCP URi on the Set-ClientAccessServer for Exchange 2013 to also be outlook.domain.com. 

    Does autodiscover then need to be pointing to the highest CAS version? I didnt want to do this to start with because I didnt want to impact existing users on Exchange 2010 by changing that setting. 

    Also to mention that this user has an iPhone and ActiveSync is working fine after the mailbox move. It updated the server name correctly and they are sending / receiving mail no issues. OWA also is not an issue. 

    I am heading into the office soon to see if their Outlook is working this morning. But any recommendations based on the autodiscover url and if I have done this wrong would be great. 

    Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:52 AM
  • I am totally baffled now!! The user got in the office this morning, opened their Outlook and for the message "You must restart Outlook for changes to take effect". They restarted Outlook and bingo their mailbox is now fully working and Outlook is connected fine!

    I have also moved 3 more users last night and they moved with no issues and Outlook was fine. 

    The ONLY difference between the 3 working and 1 not working is the "non working" user was only created on the domain yesterday on the Exchange 2010 server and then migrated in the same day to Exchange 2013. 

    Seems like something on Exchange 2013 has updated overnight and the user can now authenticate against Exchange 2013 with no issues. 

    So question... what happens on Exchange overnight to make this work? Its almost like there is a cache that is not refreshed until some maintenance task is run.. any ideas? 

    Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Update:

    Moved 10 mailboxes just from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 and 9 worked fine but 1 user got the error of their Outlook Disconnected. 

    They are working in OWA for the time being because I bet tomorrow they will work fine. If I try and create a new MAPI profile it fails at the stage trying to logon to the Exchange 2013 mailbox server. Autodiscover is working fine. This is something else... Almost like a cache that is not refreshed for authentication in IIS until the next day.

    This failed user has been on Exchange 2010 for over 1 month so bang goes the theory of newly created users.. 

    Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:36 PM
  • Update:

    User just calls me and tells me his mailbox has started working now on its own! I am confused...

    His Outlook 2013 version is 15.0.4605.1003. 

    I am wondering if he has the issue described in this KB:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2863911

    Problem is issue was resolved before I could upgrade his Office Version. I am going to ensure before I do any more mailbox moves that users have the latest Outlook version installed. 

    • Marked as answer by JRATechNet Friday, July 4, 2014 11:37 AM
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:56 PM
  • This is a good news.

    you may want to check the Events logs between the time when the user was not able to outlook.

    yes the above article explains your issue


    Where Technology Meets Talent

    Thursday, July 3, 2014 2:43 PM
  • Checked all the event viewer logs for that time and only thing I saw of any interest was the IIS AppPools refreshing. 

    I am still baffled but think it is more a bug with Outlook 2013 because if I use Outlook 2007 and a new user I cannot replicate the issue. Odd...
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 4:23 PM