Convert stripping Raid array to a Spanned volume RRS feed

• Question

• 3 years ago, I created 2x 1 TB partitions for our file server on our SAN. Next I made them available for our file server host which is running on windows server 2008 R2 server and I set the two drives up as a stripped volume. Now we are getting short on space and we need to add more space and if I try to add an additional 500GB of space, it will not allow me.

I think it is because it is a stripped volume and not a spanned volume. So I was wondering, how can you add additional space to a stripped volume? if you cannot, can you convert the stripped volume into a spanned volume without losing the data?

Or is their any other options around this?

Thursday, July 4, 2013 5:30 PM

Answers

• Once a stiped volume is created, you cannot add more space to it becuase you cannot extend a striped volume or mirror it.  And you cannot convert it to spanned one. My suggestion is to backup the date to another 2TB drive first, then create a new striped volume on 2 * 1TB + 500GB .

TechNet Subscriber Support |If you have any feedback on Technet forum, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Boo_MonstersInc Friday, July 5, 2013 2:52 AM edit
    • Marked as answer by bubba1984 Sunday, July 7, 2013 5:52 PM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 2:49 AM