none
Enabled Net User Admin to change an account name - can't change name and now origial login account does not show up

Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows 8.1 system on a lap top that was used by a former employee. Her name was still on user name and I couldn't change it without Admin privileges (otherwise was asking for a smart card). Found out how to get in to admin in safe mode with Net User Admin yes- then discovered that the old log in and information / desk top is no longer available. The docs are under Users (old employee's name) in C drive, but the docs and settings no longer show up and the admin log in is the only one available - no option to change users.

When I went in and said Net User Admin no - thinking if I disabled admin user it would go back to the old log in -  there was no log in available at all.

Help?

Launa

Friday, February 12, 2016 6:31 PM

All replies

• 1.Hold down the SHIFT key while clicking on Restart.

2.Click Troubleshoot.

3.Choose Advanced options.

4.Select System Restore to get back the original user account.

You can rename your user in Win8.1, but the directory your profile lies in won't change to reflect the new user name! It will always stay the same as it was created.To resolve this problem  create a new user, transfer all files from the old user profile to the new one and then delete the old user profile.

See also:

How To Change User Profile Location in Windows 8 without Registry Hack

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 11:52 PM