none
Necessary Licenses for AD server?

Question

• Hello,

Suppose I have built a new computer to be promoted to a domain controller, and now I want to put an operating system on it. Suppose, too, that I have 10 end users with 10 workstations, and a couple of servers running home grown applications.

There are two administrators that will log into the domain controller to administrate it.

What version of Windows 2012 server do I need to get? How many CALs do I need to buy? Apologies for the basicness of my question. I'm a Linux guy by history (that says it all... :-) ).

- Mike Schwager

Monday, December 12, 2016 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use Standard or Datacenter license to activate the operating system of new domain controller.

You don't need CAL required to remote access on domain controller, by default two administrators can login into server remotely in same time.

• Marked as answer by GreyGnome1 Monday, December 12, 2016 3:36 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use Standard or Datacenter license to activate the operating system of new domain controller.

You don't need CAL required to remote access on domain controller, by default two administrators can login into server remotely in same time.

• Marked as answer by GreyGnome1 Monday, December 12, 2016 3:36 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 3:30 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Do I understand correctly, that I don't need CALs to provide the AD functionality?

- Mike Schwager

Monday, December 12, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Do I understand correctly, that I don't need CALs to provide the AD functionality?

- Mike Schwager

You don't need , jute activate the DC operating system.

CAL user is required for another service like remote access RDS, to enable some functionality of Exhange for exemple.

Monday, December 12, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Thanks!!!

- Mike Schwager

Monday, December 12, 2016 3:37 PM