locked
Mail Merge - Line Suppression RRS feed

  • Question

  • This is a NEW issue that never happened before.  I have been using mail merge labels in Word 2010 Professional.   The data is an Excel spreadsheet.

    I use the steps, insert ADDRESS BLOCK, Update labels, etc.  

    Now in the final merge and print preview...there is an extra line before the second address line.   This occurs in the labels that there is four lines (Name, Street 1, Street 2, CITYSTATEZIP) and the line is inserted between the two addresses.    I have been using this method for over two years and this has never happened until recently.   I have tried the suggestions of inserting the individual mail merge field and that doesn't resolve the issue.

    Two of us in the office are having the issue.

    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 4:31 PM

All replies

  • Rename NORMAL.DOTM to fix Microsoft Word problems. Locate the file from the path: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

    After launching Word, we would get a new NORMAL.DOTM and test if the extra line still appears while Mail Merge.

    This issue may also be caused Word add-ins, please go to file > option > Add-ins to disable some of suspecious add-ins to check the result. Or we may simply to test the behavior in Word safe mode. ("Winword.exe /safe") 

    Thanks.

    Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, October 3, 2013 5:51 AM
  • That didn't work Tony.   It looks like when there is a three line address and the next label is a four line address ... the blank line is inserted between lines 2 and 3 of the four line address.   The entire document is like this.    It is too tedious to edit the individual labels, 700 labels (30 to a page).  Using the Avery 5160 or 5660 template.   As I said it worked fine up to a day or two ago.

    I have no add ons and the files are already named NORMAL.DOTM (and the system will not let me edit or delete them)  I have over 8 Normal.dotm files.

    Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Inserting the individual merge fields will resolve the issue - provided you do it correctly. Since the problem concerns 'Street 2':
    • delete the paragraph/line break after 'Street 1', so that both it and 'Street 2' are on the same line
    • select the 'Street 2' field and press Shift-F9 to expose the field code, which should look like {MERGEFIELD Street_2} or {MERGEFIELD Street_2 \* MERGEFORMAT}
    • edit the 'Street 2' field code so that it looks like {MERGEFIELD Street_2 \b "¶"}, where the ¶ is your paragraph/line break (that'll force the field's closing bracket to the next line, but don't worry about that).
    • press F9 to update the 'Street 2' field.

    Now run your mailmerge.


    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

    Friday, October 4, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Paul, that is not the format that I am using, I am using the wizard's ADDRESS BLOCK.  Not merge fields.  (that was stated in my original posts that I tried the individual mail merge fields to no avail).

    I searched this topic before and found this same solution from you.  IT doesn't work.  There is not page or paragraph breaks, when I finally figured out how to reveal the code.    I was using ADDRESS BLOCK not individual fields, yet I did do that two days before I posted it.  The issue was still there.  I am not a programmer, I am an administrative assistant and messing around with code isn't easy.

    Anyways, thanks for the help and suggestion.

    Also, I found out how to fix the issue.  The exported from an Act! Database Excel spreadsheet was causing the issue.   I found that if I saved the Excel spreadsheet into a previous version, not as a 2010 version....it resolved the issue, utilizing the mail merge wizard.   I still find it hilarious I had performed this activity for over two years without issue until last week.

    Friday, October 4, 2013 4:41 PM
  • Unless you're using a Mac (which doesn't support the \b switch) the solution DOES work. But, since you say it doesn't, maybe the issue is that the merge data for that field in the xlsx format was never truly empty (eg it had a space character).

    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

    Friday, October 4, 2013 9:12 PM
  • It didn't work in my situation because it was the ADDRESS BLOCK inserted NOT individual fields.   As I said found out the issue was with the imported Excel data.  Not the formatting of the fields.     It resolved the issue once I saved the EXCEL document into what I call a lower version of Excel (previous version).   I am not a CODER and I do not muck around with CODE..though I tried.   
    Monday, October 7, 2013 2:08 PM