Missing all programs RRS feed

• Question

• I am also missing all programs that were listed under start, all programs. They just seemed to be gone after I install Microsoft security essentials. I tried doing a restore but I still don't have anything in all programs. I do get recently used icons when I open start. I have to go to my computer, c drive, program files, then to the program to get it to run on the computer.

Hardware: Q6600 with Asus P5QL Pro board
                      4 gigs 1066 memory
                      XFX GTX260 video card
                      3 250 Gig sata Western Digital HDs
                      2 dvd combo drives
                     Home built.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:11 PM

Answers

• There seems to be a spate of this particular issue. Recently, I answered it as follows:

It can mean you have more than about 70 entries in the two Start Menu > Programs folders. Try clicking the Windows Orb (Start), right-click All Programs and click Open. Right-click All Programs again and click Open All Users. Right-click the Taskbar and click Show windows side by side. Have a look in both the Programs folders and if there are more than 70 entries, combine some of them or create a sub folder, e.g. Start Menu\Programs\Miscellaneous and drag other folders/program shortcuts to it until there are less than 70 entries. Right-click the Taskbar and click Undo Show side by side. Lastly, using Task Manager, end and restart Explorer or restart the computer to refresh the list.

The above is a summary from this excellent website http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2009/05/story-of-windows-7-and-empty-all.html

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:30 AM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 6:34 PM

All replies

• There seems to be a spate of this particular issue. Recently, I answered it as follows:

It can mean you have more than about 70 entries in the two Start Menu > Programs folders. Try clicking the Windows Orb (Start), right-click All Programs and click Open. Right-click All Programs again and click Open All Users. Right-click the Taskbar and click Show windows side by side. Have a look in both the Programs folders and if there are more than 70 entries, combine some of them or create a sub folder, e.g. Start Menu\Programs\Miscellaneous and drag other folders/program shortcuts to it until there are less than 70 entries. Right-click the Taskbar and click Undo Show side by side. Lastly, using Task Manager, end and restart Explorer or restart the computer to refresh the list.

The above is a summary from this excellent website http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2009/05/story-of-windows-7-and-empty-all.html

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:30 AM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 6:34 PM
  • If there is no item in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder, try copying them from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu folder.
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:32 AM
  • Im having the same problem as c303a, except in the start menu folders, one of them only has three programs and the other is empty, with nothing but the empty Programs folder.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:09 PM