Move all files to new hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new hard drive, but I do not know how I move all files to the new hard drive (I have an external hard drive, fals that helps somehow
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:31 PM

Answers

• If you are replacing an old internal hard drive with a new one, try installing the new drive without removing the old one, formatting it, then doing a copy. Some files will be locked and unable to be coied properly if the old drive is the system drive. In that case, you might try just backing up user files to the external drive, swapping the new drive in for the old, installing windows, and then copying the user files back. Or just leaving them on the external drive.

Al Dunbar

• Proposed as answer by Jeremy_Wu Monday, July 30, 2012 3:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, August 6, 2012 6:35 AM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:41 PM

All replies

• Is the old drive an internal or external drive? 

Blog: www.danielclasson.com/blog | LinkedIn: Daniel Classon | Twitter: @danielclasson

Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:07 PM
  • If you are replacing an old internal hard drive with a new one, try installing the new drive without removing the old one, formatting it, then doing a copy. Some files will be locked and unable to be coied properly if the old drive is the system drive. In that case, you might try just backing up user files to the external drive, swapping the new drive in for the old, installing windows, and then copying the user files back. Or just leaving them on the external drive.

Al Dunbar

• Proposed as answer by Jeremy_Wu Monday, July 30, 2012 3:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, August 6, 2012 6:35 AM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:41 PM