SP 2007 - Alternate Access Mapping - Not Working? RRS feed

• Question

• I have WSS3.0 installed on my laptop (win 7) with IIS7.

I have a sharepoint dev site setup for testing and sandbox'ing.  Problem is that i need to be able to access the site from within my company network.

I can access the Internet and CA site (Default) locally on the laptop.  I cannot see any zone site mapping from another computer on the network.

What am i missing in CA or IIS7?

"I am the reason, Curiosity killed the Cat!" Please be patient, there are times where i do not respond for weeks at a time.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:02 PM admin q - but confused as sandbox is only SP 2010 (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:15 PM

Answers

• It was actually neither.....it was the Windows Firewall setting on my laptop that was preventing access to the site(s) address(es).

Although, i put your suggestions on my deployment checklist for future trouble-shooting when doing fresh deployments.

"I am the reason, Curiosity killed the Cat!" Please be patient, there are times where i do not respond for weeks at a time. http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:31 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:34 PM

All replies

• The basic problem is probably that there is no DNS resolution for the addresses available elsewhere in the network.  if you are using host headers for your sites then the host headers need to be mapped in the default domain of your network DNS to the IP address on your server (laptop).  Otherwise when you go to a different machine on the network it can't resolve the address and can't find the sites.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog Twitter: @pstork
    • Marked as answer by goldbishop Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:41 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:31 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:49 PM
  • As im using my laptop as a local test machine until we can get a server (internally) setup....how would i resolve this?

Going forward, what steps do i need to take to make sure the test server is accessible?  I want to make it so i manage SP locally, via CA, and have a Intranet/Internet facing site for clients (eventually).

"I am the reason, Curiosity killed the Cat!" Please be patient, there are times where i do not respond for weeks at a time.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:58 PM
  • As I understand, your requirement is that CA site will be accessed locally and you have another web app which will be accessed via Intranet.

For this you should follow these steps

1. Create a DNS name created e.g www.dumyName.com or dumyName.com
    2. While creating a web app, use this name under host header in create web applicaion section

This way you will be able to have everyone in your company domain access the site from their machine.

Thanks & Regards, Soumyadev | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by goldbishop Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:40 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:02 PM
  • You need to either add an entry to your DNS server that points to the sites on your laptop or hard code entries in the Hosts file on each workstation that needs to access the laptop.  Without one of those remote workstations will not be able to resolve the address of the sites to an IP address.  Without the IP address they won't be able to find the SharePoint server.  You can manage SharePoint locally, but like any web site there must be a registered Domain Name Entry available for workstations to find the site.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog Twitter: @pstork
    • Marked as answer by goldbishop Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:41 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:14 PM
  • It was actually neither.....it was the Windows Firewall setting on my laptop that was preventing access to the site(s) address(es).

Although, i put your suggestions on my deployment checklist for future trouble-shooting when doing fresh deployments.

"I am the reason, Curiosity killed the Cat!" Please be patient, there are times where i do not respond for weeks at a time. http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:31 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:34 PM