Footers RRS feed

• Question

• Have a document with multiple sections. Each section has its own set of page#'s. For example section 1 has pages 1-8, section 2 has pages 1-5 etc. The footer on each page has the document revision # as well as section and page#.

Every time I change a page I have to give the page a new revision #. If I change section 1 page 2 then the footer has to reflect a new revision # on that particular page only. However, when i change the revision # all the other footers change in that section.

If I create another section break it changes the next section to section 2 and this is not acceptable.

Is there a way to change footer text on 1 page of a section without the other pages in that same section changing?:

Monday, September 15, 2014 8:49 PM

Answers

• Put the revision number in a borderless floating text box in the body of the document in a paragraph in the middle of the changed page (anchored there) and move it into the footer area. If you edit the text it may move the text box so you'll have to adjust.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Proposed as answer by Stefan BlomMVP Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Greta Ge Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:13 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:05 AM

All replies

• In both Headers and Footers there is a property called "Different First Page" and it applies to each section in a document. So open the footer of each section and set this from the Headers and Footers tab on the ribbon. Then the edits you make to this "first page of the section" footer will only apply to that one page.

Use Word's Help on Headers and Footers to get a complete explanation of the feature.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Monday, September 15, 2014 10:42 PM
  • Put the revision number in a borderless floating text box in the body of the document in a paragraph in the middle of the changed page (anchored there) and move it into the footer area. If you edit the text it may move the text box so you'll have to adjust.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Proposed as answer by Stefan BlomMVP Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Greta Ge Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:13 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:05 AM