none
Master Schedule Outline Override for reporting Milestones RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

We have around 52 projects in out portfolio and within each schedule have flagged using Flag1 amongst others, milestones which we want to show on the milestone report which is generated from the master schedule.

When the filter is applied to the Master schedule, all of the outline levels are native to their projects (naturally) yet from a reporting (and OCD) perspective I would like to show all of the milestones in line at the same level.

Is there anyway to do this within the master (without impacting the subs) or do I need to export to excel, remap the levels and map back into a separate file?

Thanks

Sean

Friday, March 10, 2017 10:00 PM

Answers

• Sean,

You could try grouping, or a better suggestion is to not use a dynamic master (see my response to your other post). Instead use a static master, then you can move your milestone around any way you like.

John

• Marked as answer by Sean Pears Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:26 PM
    Saturday, March 11, 2017 1:56 AM

All replies

• Well, the outline level of each task is the outline level within the project they are in. There is nothing you can do about that.

I am not sure what you mean by "show all of the milestones in line at the same level" but I guess you want something for the master schedule.

You could use a spare text field with the project name and another with a formula to concatenate the project name and outline level, eg:

=[title] & [outline level]

Would that help?

Friday, March 10, 2017 11:21 PM
  • Thanks Trevor

Purely for reporting purposes, I wanted all milestones to be at outline level 2 so they aligned on the report and the indents were not shown.

Regards

Sean

Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:25 AM
  • Sean,

You could try grouping, or a better suggestion is to not use a dynamic master (see my response to your other post). Instead use a static master, then you can move your milestone around any way you like.

John

• Marked as answer by Sean Pears Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:26 PM
    Saturday, March 11, 2017 1:56 AM
  • Thanks John

I created a static master, for the end master milestone report I found it easier to copy the master into excel as I still didnt have the freedom for changing the outlines, amend all of the outline levels and apply date sorts for each project and then map it back in.

Regards

Sean

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:28 PM
  • Sean,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Once you have the static master you should be able to re-arrange it to suit your needs but since I don't know your exact structure, I can't really suggest what to do. If you could share your static master then I could help you. However, if the Excel export works for you, perhaps you're all set.

John
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:01 AM