none
Bulk replace of one resource with another at the database level RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, I have a situation wherebye a whole team has been replaced with a new team. They are assigned to tasks across over 200 projects. Is it possible/recommended to do a replace of one resource with another for all assignments at the database level? I know I can do this via Project Pro using the reassign/replace functions and in time all the project will need to be opened/updated/published any way. But right now I would like to do a bulk replace really quickly so the new resources can see in their task lists the tasks that have be reallocated to them right away. Is this possible/supported? Many thx.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

sorry, I don't think that it is possible and for sure, it is definitely not supported.

But I wonder: When a whole team was replaced, why did you not only change the team resource or membership for this team?

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:44 AM
  • You could probably accomplish this using VBA, or you can do it manually. Either option requires that you have complete control of all of the projects for a little while.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

• Marked as answer by Franko 123 Sunday, May 4, 2014 11:38 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 7:11 PM
  • Agree w/ Barbara and Gary from a technical standpoint.  Personally though, I'd go out to each of the PMs and make sure they're aware of the switch - and have done so in their project.  This ensures the PM is aware of what's going on within their project - which is more important than swapping out resources.

You could easily generate a report to measure compliance.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Sunday, May 4, 2014 7:38 PM
  • Thanks All, I have managed to convince my user that while it might literally take them a day or so to open each schedule reassign resources and publish, that is actually less time than it will take to build some custom solution (by the time be build and test). In addition the custom solution comes with risk. So begrudgingly my user has conceded - at least for now. Thanks for your tips.
    Sunday, May 4, 2014 11:38 PM