Unattended log on for Windows Server 2008 after reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I have a desktop app running on a Windows Server 2008. I cannot use a Windows Service, because it uses a .Net WebBrowser control, which won't work in a service (according to what I read). I can add a registry entry which will start this application, when I log in.

But I want Windows to log in, and thus start this application, completely unattended. For example after an update, or maintenance or loss of power. There are some tips on auto log on, but those seem to be for pure convenience for people, to avoid typing in the username and password.

I want the login to happen completely unattended, without humans involved, regardless when the reboot happens. Perhaps in the middle of the night.

The main purpose: I need my Windows desktop application to start immediately after the unattended reboot. How this this can be achieved is not important, crucial is that this app needs to run, always.

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:40 AM

All replies

• Why don't you run a startup script?

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Hi Vik,

firstly I am not sure what a startup script is, secondly - will that startup script automatically log on and run any desktop applications that have been set to run at startup?
    I would like any hints / links to information on how I do this. Thanks!

Friday, July 19, 2013 10:50 AM
  • Startup Script will apply to your computer when the machine boots. See here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770556.aspx

No, this not automatically logon and initiate the desktop application.

Instead, if you create a batch file to launch the application - you can use it as a startup script.

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Friday, July 19, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Hi Vik,

how can this help me?

I did create the startup script, and yes, it runs fine when I am logged in.
    I added the script to the startup policies, as described by Microsoft.
    I then rebooted the server, let it alone for 10 minutes, then logged in. Was my application running? No.
    So how can this help me? Did I do something wrong?

Friday, July 19, 2013 12:56 PM