Custom Install and Cleanup RRS feed

• Question

• I am doing a very simple application sequencing using the "custom installation" method.  It essentially just copies files into the Q:\VirtualAppProject directory.

Is there a way that I can cleanup afterwards so that I can repeat the sequencing again?  When I try to repeat the process I get this:

It appears that the path entered on the /INSTALLPATH parameter already exists.  This path must not exist prior to sequencing the package.

I'd prefer not to have to break out the heavyweight VM capabilities just to repeat the sequencing.

Any help would be appreciated

David

David Beavon
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:56 PM

Answers

• Thanks S_Sanchez , That was my first thought.  It should have been a no-brainer.

But I was having trouble when attempting to delete it after the sequencer did its thing.
    I got a number of bizarre file system security errors while attempting to delete that directory and the files within it.  I am a local admin so I didn't understand the restrictions.

Fortunately, after a lot of hair-pulling, I have finally found out how to delete that folder!  There's an obscure tool under "Tools"\"Diagnostics"\"Command Window" that seems to put me in to the app-v "bubble" with the right permissions to delete!

There aren't many, but here is another reference to someone using this tool to get into the app-v "bubble" on the sequencing machine: http://www.appvirtguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3548

I very much appreciate everyone's feedback.

Friday, October 21, 2011 2:38 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Regardless if doing command-line sequencing or not, a clean VM should always be the starting point.
    /Znack
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:57 AM
  • Most virtual machine software includes the ability to snapshot a VM and rollback to that snapshot. Even the free VirtualBox has this feature.

What do you mean by "heavy weight VM capabilities"?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Thanks for the responses.

If I'm reading the responses correctly, there isn't a way to clean up (aside from taking the entire VM back to an earlier point in time)?  Or maybe there is a "secret" clean-up mechanism that is un-supported and nobody will spill the beans?  I've read about some kind of dirty bit in the registry that can be deleted but it doesn't remove the original installpath (ie Q:\VirtualAppProject) for re-use.

Using vm snapshots & restarting the vm seems excessive (given that all I'm doing is running a batch file that copies a few files to the Q: drive for the sequencer to pick up).  Maybe I'm using the wrong approach.  Is there another way to package these files into an app-v sprj/sft without using the sequencer's "monitoring" or whatever?

Sorry for the basic questions.  You can tell I'm new at this. Thanks,

David Beavon
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Just like any packaging technology, who knows exactly what was written by the application setup? The only way to guarantee a clean machine and therefore a clean App-V package is to take the machine back to the snapshot.

I don't understand your reluctance to use VM/snapshots - it doesn't take much to setup the initial Windows install plus dependencies and patches and then make a snapshot of that machine. Roll back takes seconds.

There is no unsupported method of cleanup by the Sequencer.

Read the App-V 4.6 SP1 Sequencing guide for more info: http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/7/8/F784A197-73BE-48FF-83DA-4102C05A6D44/App-V/App-V%204.6%20Service%20Pack%201%20Sequencing%20Guide.docx

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:49 PM
  • I'm pretty sure I understand your question. If I do, all you should have to do is delete the folder Q:\VirtualAppProject prior to sequencing again.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:09 PM
  • If you want, you could always remove the said folder from the root of Q: drive instead of reverting to clean VM before starting a new package (if your install truly is simple file copy)?

And maybe additionally from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Application Virtualization Sequencer\Package Root and C:\Program Files\Microsoft Application Virtualization Sequencer\Scratch..

br,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    http://blog.gridmetric.com/
    Friday, October 21, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Using vm snapshots & restarting the vm seems excessive (given that all I'm doing is running a batch file that copies a few files to the Q: drive for the sequencer to pick up).  Maybe I'm using the wrong approach.  Is there another way to package these files into an app-v sprj/sft without using the sequencer's "monitoring" or whatever?

Sorry for the basic questions.  You can tell I'm new at this. Thanks,

No need to apologize, we are all new at some point.

Apart from Sequencer, you could try out our Virtualization Encoder (http://www.gridmetric.com/products/sftencoder.html) as with that you can basically create template-file for processing instructions that drives the product and wrap up an App-V package from your own files without monitoring. With Sequencer the wizard mode / command-line mode is the only way, and both are based on active monitoring.

br,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    http://blog.gridmetric.com/
    Friday, October 21, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Thanks S_Sanchez , That was my first thought.  It should have been a no-brainer.

But I was having trouble when attempting to delete it after the sequencer did its thing.
    I got a number of bizarre file system security errors while attempting to delete that directory and the files within it.  I am a local admin so I didn't understand the restrictions.

Fortunately, after a lot of hair-pulling, I have finally found out how to delete that folder!  There's an obscure tool under "Tools"\"Diagnostics"\"Command Window" that seems to put me in to the app-v "bubble" with the right permissions to delete!

There aren't many, but here is another reference to someone using this tool to get into the app-v "bubble" on the sequencing machine: http://www.appvirtguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3548

I very much appreciate everyone's feedback.

Friday, October 21, 2011 2:38 PM