Issue using Get-DatabaseAvailabilyGroup -Status Exch 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to use this CMDLET (Get-DatabaseAvailabilyGroup -Status) on Exch 2010, I get a powershell error message:

A server-side administrative operation has failed. The Microsoft Exchange Replication service may not be running on ser
    ver mail02.domain.local Specific RPC error message: Error 0x6d9 (There are no more endpoints available from t
    he endpoint mapper) from cli_GetDagNetworkConfig
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup], ReplayServiceDownException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 749A084,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.GetDatabaseAvailabilityGr
       oup

What I don't understand is this server that it's referencing is the witness server to the DAG and SHOULDN'T have this service installed.  Has anyone run into this issue before, and if so, how did you fix it?  I have not tried rebuilding my DAG thus far.

Thanks for any input.

Thanks, Jeffrey - Infrastructure Administrator

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply. From your description, I knoe above settings are already set correctly. But the error still returned. And it is a liitle strange. I suspect that the DAG has some problem. Could you try to recreate a DAG and add these servers to the new DAG to see if the issue persists?

Sent By

Silver

• Marked as answer by Richard Kuai Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:59 AM
    Friday, July 18, 2014 2:28 AM
  • Hello Jeffrey,

From your description, I know the affected server "mail02" is a witness server. To check if the issue is with this witness server, please change your witness server to another server to see if it is working.

Meanwhile, it seems there are three members in the DAG, please also make sure the "Node Majority " is configured for quorum configuration. see more details in the folowing link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731739.aspx

Sometimes, AD replication will also cause our issue, so we suggest to force AD replication to see if it is working. See more details in the following link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816926(v=ws.10).aspx.

PLease try above steps and see the result.

Sent By

Silver

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 1:50 AM

All replies

• How does your DAG health look like? Test-ReplicationHealth...

Blog | Get Your Exchange Powershell Tip of the Day from here

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:52 PM
  • Hi,

Please run the Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus cmdlet check the result. You can also check copy status in EMC.

Please check the application log to see if there is any related events.

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:37 AM
  • All replication health looks fine, all results are "Passed"

Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:33 PM
  • The status for all the databases is mounted and healthy and we are not having issues with failovers.  It's only when I attempt to check the status of the DAG group that I get the error message.  All other commands seem to work fine.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:34 PM
  • If you do Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup (without the status)  | %{$_.Servers | ft Name} does it show mail02?
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:18 PM
  • Hi,

Did you use the HUB server as FSW?

Could you please use the ExBPA to check against your Exchange server health?

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact  tnmff@microsoft.com

Belinda Ma

Friday, June 27, 2014 4:16 AM
  • No, it only shows the 3 members that we have configured to be a part of our DAG, not mail02 (witness server)

Friday, June 27, 2014 2:43 PM
  • And if you do Get-ClusterNode does it show mail02 as a member?

Is there an error in the Application Event log that happens at the time you run the command (hopefully one with a stack trace)?

Friday, June 27, 2014 5:09 PM
  • Hi,

Have you checked Jared Van Leeuwen's suggestions? Is there any update?

The Status parameter instructs the command to query Active Directory for additional information, and to include real-time status information in the output. Please add the DomainController parameter to specify a domain controller to retrieve data to check the result.

If you have multiple DCs in your environment, please make sure there is no replication issues.

If the issue persists, could you please use the ExBPA to check against your Exchange server health?

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Belinda Ma

Monday, June 30, 2014 2:43 AM
  • The Status parameter instructs the command to query Active Directory for additional information, and to include real-time status information in the output.

Belinda, I'd like to clarify something. Get-* cmdlets normally get information from only the AD (except Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus). But a Get-* cmdlet with the -Status switch specified get's information from the AD and also gets information from the servers themselves. The objects returned from Get-* cmdlets are the same objects with or without -Status, but certain fields on those objects will only be filed in with -Status.

For example, the list of servers in a Dag are stored on the Dag object in the AD. That's why the list can be retrieved by doing Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup. But the list of servers that are currently 'up' is not stored in the AD. So when -Status is specified the cmdlet does an RPC to some of the servers in the Dag to ask them who is actually up.

Monday, June 30, 2014 3:52 AM
  • You can try with the adminitrative exchange management shell or better to reconfigure your witness server and witness directory using set-databaseavailabilitygroup command
    Monday, June 30, 2014 4:24 AM
  • Did you use the HUB server as FSW?

The HUB / CAS server was automatically picked as the witness server during DAG creation.

Could you please use the ExBPA to check against your Exchange server health?

I ran the BPA and it found an expired cert on a CAS server we aren't currently using as well as another cert SAN mismatch error that I need to resolve on another CAS server that isn't part of the DAG at all.  Everything else looks good.

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:11 PM
  • Mail02 does not show up as a member of the DAG at all.

Unfortunately the application event log doesn't contain any more detailed information than what I posted.  The powershell error is essentially what is in the event logs as well.

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:13 PM
  • Hello Jeffrey,

From your description, I know the affected server "mail02" is a witness server. To check if the issue is with this witness server, please change your witness server to another server to see if it is working.

Meanwhile, it seems there are three members in the DAG, please also make sure the "Node Majority " is configured for quorum configuration. see more details in the folowing link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731739.aspx

Sometimes, AD replication will also cause our issue, so we suggest to force AD replication to see if it is working. See more details in the following link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816926(v=ws.10).aspx.

PLease try above steps and see the result.

Sent By

Silver

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 1:50 AM
  • Hello Jeffrey,

Any update?

Sent By

Silver

Friday, July 4, 2014 4:46 AM
  • Sorry I didn't get back sooner.  I in fact tested all 3 of these scenarios, and none of them were my problem.  I attempted switching the witness server, no effect.

I checked that Node Majority was set, and it already was.

I forced AD replication (although I didn't suspect that was our issue anyway since we haven't had any replication issues) and it completed successfully as expected.

Unfortunately, this was not the fix for my issue.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. From your description, I knoe above settings are already set correctly. But the error still returned. And it is a liitle strange. I suspect that the DAG has some problem. Could you try to recreate a DAG and add these servers to the new DAG to see if the issue persists?

Sent By

Silver

• Marked as answer by Richard Kuai Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:59 AM
    Friday, July 18, 2014 2:28 AM
  • Rebuilding the DAG fixed this issue.  I followed the procedures from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg513521(v=exchg.141).aspx and then everything was working fine.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Friday, September 26, 2014 4:03 PM