Exchange 2010 SP2 update rollup 3 - Errors with autodiscover RRS feed

• Question

• The follow error appears frequently in the application log for both CAS servers - "user setting preferredsite not available" Event ID 1

I ran Get-ClientAccessServer | fl autodiscoverSiteScope

and the default Active directory site name is correct. Nothing was changed in AD.

Anand_N

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:20 AM

All replies

• rpcclientaccessServer is set correctly. I have changed nothing on exchange, only after update rollup 3 I am getting this error. Outlook connects to exchange fine.

Anand_N

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:49 AM
  • I rebooted both CAS servers as well, but error still shows. I have rebooted mailbox servers, but the error still appears.

Anand_N

• Marked as answer by Anand_N Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Anand_N Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:29 PM
    • Edited by Anand_N Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:47 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Hello

We have the same event since the installation of Exchange 2010 SP2 Rollup 3.
    The configuration has not been modified.
    As i know, there is no autodiscover or connectivity problem

Regards

Stef

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:55 PM
  • so this is an error we should ignore?

Anand_N

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:13 PM
  • Anand_N,

at this moment, i don't know if we can safely ignore this event.

Do you have multiple AD Sites ?
    Do you trust other domains ?

This is our case

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:19 PM
  • yes we have multiple AD sites. Is there anyway I can contact you? I would like to verify you and I are having the exact problem. email address maybe?

Anand_N

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:51 PM
  • Hello

a case has been opened to Microsoft.

There is no end user impact and it happens only in a mixed organization.

The problem has been escalated to exchange dev team.

Regards

Stef

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:23 PM
  • I have attached a screenshot. Can you explain what you mean by -only happens in a mixed organization? Do you have another other information regarding the issue??

<br>

Anand_N

• Edited by Anand_N Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:21 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:44 PM
  • Anand_N

i meant by mixed organization, an organization with multiple exchange version (2003 and/or 2007 AND 2010).
    I don't have more information at this moment. I think it will take some times to Microsoft exchange team to address this problem.
    As end users are not impacted, i'm not sure they will create an emergency hotfix.

Regards
    Stef

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Hi ,

Have you run the Outlook AutoDiscover test from https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Please run ”Get-AdSite “ and check if it is accordant with autodiscoverSiteScope.

Get-AdSite:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124239.aspx

Did all the Exchange servers install RU3 ?

Please try to reboot servers and test if possible.

Please also try to Exchange BPA test if it is health.

More information for your reference.

Exchange Outlook Internal not working anymore -- "User setting 'PreferredSite' is not available":<//span>

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sr-Latn-CS/exchangesvrclients/thread/3e19f8d1-2b9b-4894-9790-ac29779d74c7

Wendy Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by wendy_liu Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:16 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:13 AM
  • Wendy_liu

AutodiscoverSiteScope contains AD Sites of users which should use these Client Access servers

End users are not impacted and this event appeared after SP2 RU3 installation.

All servers have RU3 and have been rebooted.

A Microsoft support case is opened. The problem has been escalated to Exchange dev team.

Stef

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:26 AM
  • Hello

the problem will be corrected probably in RU5 as RU4 is in advance phase in its development.

Stef

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:24 AM
  • You can ignore the Event id 1 as there won't be any impact for the End users.

The Event Id gets triggered because the value of MsExchServerSite Attribute is <Not Set> for the CASArray.
    ADSI Edit -> Configuration Container -> Services -> Microsoft Exchange -> First Organization -> Administrative Groups -> Exchange Administrative group -> Properties of Array Container

Inorder to resolve this we can Copy the value of MsExchServerSite Attribute from the CAS server and paste it in the value on MsExchServerSite Attribute of the CAS Array
    ADSI Edit -> Configuration Container -> Services -> Microsoft Exchange -> First Organization -> Administrative Groups -> Exchange Administrative group -> Servers -> Properties of CAS_SERVER.

Regards

Sathya

• Proposed as answer by Transmo Friday, August 28, 2015 9:35 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:33 PM
  • I have checked the value of  MsExchServerSite on the CAS array using adsi edit, and it already has the correct site name....

Anand_N

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Rokinth, in our case, this is not a configuration issue.

Microsoft, through a call to PSS, has confirmed the problem of SP2 RU3.

It will be corrected in RU5 or maybe in RU4.

There is no end user impact.

It can be ignored.

• Edited by WeetA Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Anand

In some scenario if the MSEXchServerSite value not set for the CAS Array it will trigger the Event id :1

As a workaround we can set the value to resolve this Event id .But in our case it has been already set .

Kindly wait for the fix in RU5 to resolve this issue. Thank you.

Regards

Sathya

• Edited by rokinth Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:19 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:16 AM
  • There is a small chance that Microsoft includes the hotfix in RU4.

Regards,
    Stef

Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Here's some additional reading

http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-server-2010-error-user-setting-preferredsite-is-not-available-after-installing-service-pack-2-update-rollup-3

Thank you, Ibrahim Benna MCSA+Messaging, MCSE+Messaging,MCITP, MCT, MVP "Did you backup your Information Store Today?!"

Monday, August 13, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Interim update has been released. Call Microsoft Support line to get this interim update. The fix will be included in RU5.
    Friday, October 5, 2012 4:04 PM
  • In our environment the problem started after demoting the last domain controller in an old AD site. This suggestion fixed it. The CAS array value was "not set" so I entered the same entry that's on the CAS server. I wonder if it was set to the old AD site and got broken when the last DC was demoted.
    Friday, August 28, 2015 9:35 PM