none
Project Schedule affected by peoples time registrations RRS feed

• Question

• In my organisation we are using Project Online's timesheet module along with the rest.  This has had the unfortunate effect that the project managers project plans changes as a result of peoples timeregistrations. What happens is e.g. that the project manager creates a task and adds a person to the taks,  this person ask a colleague for help, they add this person to the task, and both register time on it. The tasks estimate and duration is now completely changed because project online assumes that the added resource works full time on the task. The people working on the task does not even notice as they are during this in their timesheet module but next time the PM opens the project schedule it is completely messed up. Is anyone else experiencing this issue, and do you have any ideas of how to solve this? (I should add that our resources are split between multiple projects and maintenance tasks)
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:52 AM

Answers

• Hi David,

We had the same issue previously and luckily we had the Project Plan backup copy (before messing up), then we corrected the Project Plan by deleting the incorrect timesheet, changing the Tasks Start and Finish date and Remaining hours appropriate to the previous plan, and then by entering the correct Timesheet effort and sent it for Project Manager approval.

The below steps will resolve your issue if you have the previous version of the Project Plan.

a) Check the Previously planned date and hours from the Backup copy.

b) Delete all the hours entered against that particular task from the timesheet/tasks.

c) Go to the resource "Tasks" Page and check for the planned work, remaining and the Start and Finish Date for that particular project task. (Without deleting all the hours, resource could not change the Start date of the Project, it will allow only to change the Remaining hours and the Finish date.)

d) Update the Correct start, finish, remaining hours.

e) Save and then Send Status of the particular tasks for manager approval.

Test this scenario in a Test Environment before applying the steps in the Production.

If you don't have the backup copy of the Plan, then better to contact MS Support. Hope this helps you.

-SNKBalaji

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:10 AM
  • Hi SNKBalaji

Thanks you so much for taking the time to answer my question! I think the difference between our scenario and the one you describe, is that for us it is not something that happened once i awhile, it happens many times a week, because we do a lot of team work, and thus people add themselves to tasks a lot.  

• Marked as answer by Ditte Davidsen Wednesday, March 23, 2016 10:33 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

We had the same issue previously and luckily we had the Project Plan backup copy (before messing up), then we corrected the Project Plan by deleting the incorrect timesheet, changing the Tasks Start and Finish date and Remaining hours appropriate to the previous plan, and then by entering the correct Timesheet effort and sent it for Project Manager approval.

The below steps will resolve your issue if you have the previous version of the Project Plan.

a) Check the Previously planned date and hours from the Backup copy.

b) Delete all the hours entered against that particular task from the timesheet/tasks.

c) Go to the resource "Tasks" Page and check for the planned work, remaining and the Start and Finish Date for that particular project task. (Without deleting all the hours, resource could not change the Start date of the Project, it will allow only to change the Remaining hours and the Finish date.)

d) Update the Correct start, finish, remaining hours.

e) Save and then Send Status of the particular tasks for manager approval.

Test this scenario in a Test Environment before applying the steps in the Production.

If you don't have the backup copy of the Plan, then better to contact MS Support. Hope this helps you.

-SNKBalaji

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:10 AM
  • Hi SNKBalaji

Thanks you so much for taking the time to answer my question! I think the difference between our scenario and the one you describe, is that for us it is not something that happened once i awhile, it happens many times a week, because we do a lot of team work, and thus people add themselves to tasks a lot.  

• Marked as answer by Ditte Davidsen Wednesday, March 23, 2016 10:33 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:46 AM
  • Hi David,

You are welcome. Yes Agree, it need more manual effort to fix this. And the truth is there is no direct solution for this issue. We have to do it manually.

FYI. the settings we did in our environment are.

1) We are not allowing users to add themselves into the tasks and also create new tasks themselves

2) We hide the future timesheet entering.

3) We will be sending timesheet reminders to update it weekly.

4) Ask the Project manager to see the "Preview of the Project plan" before approving/rejecting the Tasks.

Hope this helps you.

-SNKBalaji

• Edited by SNKBALAJI Wednesday, March 23, 2016 10:18 AM Update
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 10:17 AM