none
Vista Backup and Restore - Mediaid.bin problem cant restore from backup on Seagate USB drive-backup location not found

Question

•  

Hi,

I did a full backup using vista backup and recovery centre onto a seagate 160gb usb drive.  The backup completed successfully so I rebuilt the machine.

On trying to rebuild, I run bakup and restore center and it cant even see the drive (it can see the C partition, the E (recovery) partition and nothing else.  It doesnt see the D (Data Partition) or the USB device.)

Tried copying it to the E partition and forcing it to use it but get  backup location not found which is mentioned elsewhere as an issue with mediaid.bin.

any ideas, i now have a shiny sparkly new machine with no data on it. 

The data is there in a compressed form but id much rather restore properly.

grateful for any help.

Cheers

Monday, November 05, 2007 10:00 AM

Answers

• If you get the following error when restoring your backup to its original HD (see error code bellow)

Error Description:

When you use the Restore Files option to restore a backup file on a Windows Vista-based computer, you may receive the following error message:

The restore did not finish successfully. Error code:
    The backup file could not be found. Check your hardware configuration or restore from a different backup (0x8100001A).

and the Mediaid.bin file is corrupted or lost, then use the following instructions for rebuilding it:

1.Unzip the sdutil.zip file and rename it from sdutil.ex_ to sdutil.exe
    2.Copy the sdutil.exe to the root of the driver which contains the backup files
    3.Open the folder Catalogs located bellow the folder BackupSet “aaaammdd” “xxxxxx”
    4.Copy the file GlobalCatalog.wbcat to the root of this HD
    5.Go to Start -> Execute and type CMD.exe
    6.At this “DOS” window type: sdutil mediaid GlobalCatalog.wbcat [HD letter (as an example D:\)]
    7.A new MediaID.bin is created
    8.Try to restore the backup as usual using the advanced restore option and next the option restore an older backup created in this machine
    9.If done: it’s over!
    10.If it fails: Map a network driver at your LAN
    11.Copy the MediaId.bin file to the root of the previous mapped LAN driver
    12.Copy the whole folder BackupSet “aaaammdd” “xxxxxx” to this same driver
    13.Try to restore the backup as usual using the advanced restore option and next the option restore backup created in another machine
    14.At the next menu, point the backup folder at your LAN mapped driver and start the restore process
    15.Now you shall have your backup proper restored at the right machine
    16.Good Luck!

PS: you can find the sdutil file at:
    http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-management/184885-procedure-rebuild-mediaid-bin-restoring-backups.html#post852303
    Saturday, October 04, 2008 4:45 AM

All replies

•  David Tewkesbury wrote:

Hi,

I did a full backup using vista backup and recovery centre onto a seagate 160gb usb drive.  The backup completed successfully so I rebuilt the machine.

On trying to rebuild, I run bakup and restore center and it cant even see the drive (it can see the C partition, the E (recovery) partition and nothing else.  It doesnt see the D (Data Partition) or the USB device.)

Tried copying it to the E partition and forcing it to use it but get  backup location not found which is mentioned elsewhere as an issue with mediaid.bin.

any ideas, i now have a shiny sparkly new machine with no data on it. 

The data is there in a compressed form but id much rather restore properly.

grateful for any help.

Cheers

Saturday, August 23, 2008 3:20 AM
  • If you get the following error when restoring your backup to its original HD (see error code bellow)

Error Description:

When you use the Restore Files option to restore a backup file on a Windows Vista-based computer, you may receive the following error message:

The backup file could not be found. Check your hardware configuration or restore from a different backup (0x8100001A).

and the Mediaid.bin file is corrupted or lost, then use the following instructions for rebuilding it:

3.Open the folder Catalogs located bellow the folder BackupSet “aaaammdd” “xxxxxx”
    6.At this “DOS” window type: sdutil mediaid GlobalCatalog.wbcat [HD letter (as an example D:\)]
    8.Try to restore the backup as usual using the advanced restore option and next the option restore an older backup created in this machine
    13.Try to restore the backup as usual using the advanced restore option and next the option restore backup created in another machine
    14.At the next menu, point the backup folder at your LAN mapped driver and start the restore process
    16.Good Luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-management/184885-procedure-rebuild-mediaid-bin-restoring-backups.html#post852303
    Saturday, October 04, 2008 4:45 AM
  • Thanks a Lot! I was anxious seeking for this Solution!!!! You are the man! Cheers. Wanda Wills

Nadyr wrote:
    If you get the following error when restoring your backup to its original HD (see error code bellow)

Error Description:

16.Good Luck!

Saturday, October 04, 2008 2:42 PM
  • Heyy, I have a problem, when I tried to use the DOS, and typed everything it, it says:

"sdutil" is not recognized as an internal or external command. operable program or batch file.

Think you can help me? ;[[
    Monday, April 06, 2009 3:31 PM
  • The instructions aren't very clear for those of us who are unfamiliar with DOS; I initially had the same problem as you, Meeeeeeeow. Once you open the DOS window as instructed in step 5, you need to enter the drive letter before entering the command line given in step 6. As an example, I'll use F: since that's what my external hard drive was for me.

So in DOS I typed, "F: " and then hit enter.
    Then I typed in "sdutil mediaid GlobalCatalog.wbcat F:\ "

If the drive you are using isn't "F:" then just substitute the letter F for whatever letter your drive is. Hopefully that helps!

PS: Thanks to Nadyr for posting the instructions for rebuilding the mediaid.bin file. This was a lifesaver!
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 5:45 PM
  • hi,       recently i just changed my vista home basic to windows 7,then i tried to restore my backup files from D drive but could not error 0x8100001A keeps poping.the one thing that puzzles me is that whenever i open backup and restore it cannot detect any backup made in my pc,but when i click select another backup  to restore from it can detect the backup on D drive........what do i do now?
    • Proposed as answer by ArtRoss Sunday, May 29, 2011 2:56 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ArtRoss Sunday, May 29, 2011 2:56 AM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:33 AM
  • where is the sdutil.zip file?

how can ifind this?

should i have create it?

Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Wanda, since this procedure sounds link it worked for you, mqybe you can explain the issue I continue to have.

I ran the DOS util as procedure stated and put in the cmd. Util said it was successful and created another mediaid.bin file. There was already one in the root so I hade to rename it first. The new one came out to be the same size as the original, 1K and I still have the problem.

Any ideas?

Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:03 PM
  • A very similar thing happened to me.  For months every week Vista's backup was telling me 'backup complete' to an external USB hard drive -- and no problems, including 8/21/11.  Two days later the system hard drive crashed.  No problem, I thought, I'm protected by a backup.   I put in a new hard drive, use the 'restore from a system image' on a rescue DVD, and *presto* everything was back to February 2011 -- six months ago but still the whole thing booted right up.  So far, so good.  

So, I'm using 'normal user' skills and it seems all will be well.

Then I used the 'restore from backup' to get all the email and documents stored in the weekly backups to bring me all the changes from the whole backup 2/11 through to August.   It rumbles around a while then it pops up with 'We see you've recently restored from a complete backup, use 'advanced restore' and so forth...  Ok, fine, I do that.   I need to use 'restore files made on another computer' -- even though it's the same computer.  This is using Windows Vista Ultimate with all the updates and packs. 

So it rumbles around some more then pops up with Error 0x8100001A  'Check your hardware'   and related. 

You know, good old 0x8100001A.  Tells you just what to do, no?  Very helpful. 

So, now we leave 'normal user' mode and advance to 'power user' mode.

Well the hardware is all perfect.  I can browse the backup files and there are all are, zipped up and so on.   But, no, the backup that was 'complete' these many weeks couldn't be restored when it came down to really needing it by Windows Restore.

So I look online and I find there is a procedure to recreate the 'mediaid.bin' file at the root of the backup drive.  Good to know such a file has something to do with a backup, not that it's documented anywhere, it just looks like a random file.  But, I download the sdutil.exe program, see that it finds the backup drive and reports that it is successful and all's well recreating the mystical mediaid.bin file.

So I try to run the backup again.   Same error.   The vista web page referenced by microsoft that explains what to do next says to copy everything over a network and 'map a network drive', and all will be well, this time, for sure.

Good thing I happen to have a local area network lying around ready to be used.   So, now we advance from 'power user' mode to 'System Admin / IT Guru' mode.

Now, the restore program won't let you use a network drive in the upper combo box with the local physical drives, but it does let you specify a lan address for another system in the 'backup from over a network' choice.  So, fine, I unhook the USB drive properly, move it over to another system, mount it, share it, and then prove I can see all the files over the lan on the computer that needs to be backed up.  Anyhow, lots of fuss.  Fire up windows restore, point it at the network, there's all the backup sets, I say 'restore everything' and 'in the original location'.  Great, home free I thought.  Rumbled rumbled... 0x8100001a  .  Same error.  Can't get the backups.

Some people online reported they could get individual files by using the 'search' routine in Restore and asking for everything beginning with 'a' and then 'b' and so on.   I tried that and I got a few files, but surfing through all the directories and so on.. I'd still be there now.

The next step noted was 'to call microsoft support'.   Not only is that be expensive, those who did so reported online after hours on the phone they still couldn't get their data back.

So, now clearly needing the 6 months worth of emails sitting in those backups I can't get, I have to move from 'IT System Admin mode' to ' Software Developer Mode'.   Good thing Stanford gave me that Master's degree in CS years ago.   (The good news is... I didn't need to advance all the way to 'Realtime Multiprocessor software architect mode... wait for it...)

I wrote a completely unlovely console program that ignores everything but the actual data still really available in the Windows Backup.  No 'catalogs', no 'MediaID.bin' no ancillary stuff.   I read everything that's available in the backup, I sort it by time, then I restore the entire thing putting it all in the root directory of a blank drive, ready for you to copy back to where it is supposed to go once you convince yourself it's all correct.  I write the files oldest to newest (so that newer stuff with the same name overwrites older versions)   And, it's entirely 'read only' to the MS Windows Vista Backup Restore process.. don't change a single byte anywhere in the backup so it's safe.  Had to puzzle through how Windows Backup splits large files across several backup zips, how it strangely stores lots of files with the same name in one zip, plenty of fun, right up there with recovering from surgery.

It took me several days of pain and grief, but, no thanks whatever to Vista's Backup / Restore (telling me all was well except the bit about how you can't actually get the data backed up BACK when you need it)--  The whole data set is recovered, old mail is all there, photos and docs are all there, videos too -- bit perfect.

If anybody is still cursed by this.. let me know, maybe we can work something out.  The program has fixed constants and isn't really fit for general posting.  But it is pretty easy to adapt.  You'll need an empty hard drive big enough to hold the restored files to inspect before you copy them where they go.

Friday, September 02, 2011 4:48 AM
  • Harry, I have a similar problem. I do have the data on the external hard drive and this time even my pc can find it and allows me to browse for the folders I need in The Data recovery center, but after that I get the same error message.

I tried to move all the back up to the internal drive in hope that maybe PC will look for better location, but nothing happend.  To unzip files in the order one by one is very long and time consuming and I am not savy enough to finish this proccess.

Would anybody mind helping me to get my "life" back?

Thank you very much

Ryan

Monday, January 02, 2012 10:18 PM
  • I so wish I had read these posts before I relied on my Backup to save my files while I reinstalled my Vista OS.  I recreated the mediaid.bin file sucessessfully, etc. and still get the same error 0x8100001A. Any suggestions for what I should try next? I'm not on a LAN.  thanks, Lynn
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:41 PM
  • This should be salutory lesson for us all - Doing a test restore ocassionally is a good idea....

www.pc-support.uk.com

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:00 AM
  • Mr. Coin,

If you still have that ugly console app for getting backups to work, I'd sure appreciate it. 

Ed Ahlsen-Girard

Saturday, July 21, 2012 11:08 PM
  • This is an ownership and permissions issue. The original file has the ownership of the old pc that it was created with which will now show "unknown user" or soething similar. You need to change the ownership to the new pc and user then either add the user or the "everyone" user and enable the "full control" permissions andf it should allow the restore. I dicovered this when looking at the security of the folder. Hope this helped
    • Proposed as answer by MaureeV Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:17 PM
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Your link for "sdiutil.zip" is no longer available.
    Wednesday, April 06, 2016 1:56 PM
  • Super Impressed

Worked for me, many thanks.

Friday, September 07, 2018 5:12 PM