Hyper-V Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I need to understand about " Licensing Peaking" 

we build hyper-v cluster with  4 Nodes [ Enabled Fail over cluster and Hyper-v Role] . On base servers we installed WIN 2008 R2 Enterprise edition. Running 40 VM's across the cluster each host hold 10 VM's .

I covered my license as mentioned below now 100% compliance

per host  1 No WIN 2008 R2 ENT + 3 WIN 2012 R2 STD.  [ Enterprises - 4 VM's per License  + STd - 2 VM's per license ] 

Now i need to know if i am moving one instance from one host to other host , do i need additional license for the host .

Thanks & Regards

vijay

Friday, May 20, 2016 7:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When an instance is moved from one Host to a new physical Host, that new server must already have appropriate licenses assigned to it.  for example: if you have 2 x physical Hosts, each with wind serv Enterprise 2008 R2 License, you may move instances from Server A to server B but only the rights to run four at one time. 

if you run more than 4 Vms, would cause the second server to become under-licensed.

Windows Server do not benefice of license mobility between Servers.

thanks

diramoh

• Marked as answer by VIJAY_tintin Friday, May 20, 2016 12:04 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 11:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When an instance is moved from one Host to a new physical Host, that new server must already have appropriate licenses assigned to it.  for example: if you have 2 x physical Hosts, each with wind serv Enterprise 2008 R2 License, you may move instances from Server A to server B but only the rights to run four at one time. 

if you run more than 4 Vms, would cause the second server to become under-licensed.

Windows Server do not benefice of license mobility between Servers.

thanks

diramoh

• Marked as answer by VIJAY_tintin Friday, May 20, 2016 12:04 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 11:05 AM
  • Hi Diramoh,

Thanks for your reply. 

So i need to plan additional license . if i need to move instance between hosts. 

If my instance is not going to move between host ? but still i need consider the license ?

My base server holds WIN 2008 R2 Enterprises edition , so i can run 4 VM's and if i need additional WIN 2008 R2 STD VM's, then i can use existing 2008 R2 STD license ?.

in that case i am mixing up WIN 2008 R2 STD & Enterprise edition ? Is it compliance

Thanks & Regard 

Vijay

Friday, May 20, 2016 12:04 PM
  • Hi Vijay,

if you don't add more VMs to a licensed physical Server than you don't need to add more licenses.

if you have existing Standard 2008 R2 licenses(Not OEM), you may add there to your Enterprise Server fo more VMs( each 2008 R2 Standard Edition allowed only one VM).

however, if you purchase 2012 Standard Edition, you can install up to 2 Vms in Standard or Enterprise instances.

you can mixing Standard and Enterprise on the same Host without restriction.

The Datacenter edition provides the flexibility to move instances of Windows Server without concern about maintaining license compliance

very important for Microsoft licensing compliance: OEM server license CANNOT be transfered to another Server. for VL licenses, you can Transfer it from Server to another Server evry 90 days.

for confirmation and more Details, contact please Microsoft licensing support in your Region

thanks

diramoh

Friday, May 20, 2016 1:31 PM
  • Hi Diramoh,

Thanks for your reply 

Regards

Vijay

Saturday, May 21, 2016 9:44 AM