Low Memory Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple clients that are getting Low Memory messages pop up stating to close programs to free up memory. All are Windows 7 computers with Intel i5 in them and 4GB of Memory. They did have 2GB but I upgraded them to 4Gb. After that, they still get the message. All use Outlook, along with Word, and some Web-based applications. From what I have found online, is to reinstall Office, as it may be an issue with the installation. That did not resolve the issue. The kicker is, is that I have over 250 identical setups that run without any issues, except that they all have 2GB of memory. So adding memory does not help. I am having trouble resolving this issue whether it be system related, or if it indeed is Outlook.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:47 PM

Answers

• Screen grab someone's Task Manager when the problem is occurring and post it here, then.  Someone should be able to tell you whether their version of the process shown is using much less memory.

It occurs to me that if the main RAM doesn't look full to you it could be something else - for example Video RAM management problems due to bugs in the display drivers.  Is there any correllation between the video card type and the problem occurring?  Do the systems experiencing the problem have the same kind of video card?  Are the drivers up to date from the web site of the maker of the video card(s)?

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, May 30, 2011 7:30 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:28 PM
  • I found a knowledge-base article that might be pertinent:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

-Noel

• Marked as answer by jcocozzo Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:10 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:08 PM

All replies

• Have you actually looked in Task Manager to see what process has hold of the memory?  Seems like that's a good first step.

Go to the Processes tab and make the Working Set (Memory) column visible if it isn't already.

Another alternative is to go to the Performance Tab, glance at the memory usage (to verify indeed that it is a memory issue), then click on the Resource Monitor tab.   The Resource Monitor gives you yet a different view of memory usage.

-Noel

Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Hi,

Have you checked which process consume the biggest memory? Please provide the process name.

You can use RamMap to examine the usage of the memory. Download at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229

Also, Please boot the computer in Clean Boot Mode to determine whether the 3rd party software cause this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Regards,
    Juke
    TechNet Subscriber support in form. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:12 AM
  • I know how to use the taskmanager and the likes. The 2 largest consumers is Outlook, and svchost.  I am looking for a fix on how it can be resolved so that users need Outlook for daily use.

-Juke,

I will give those 2 options a try. Thanks.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:13 PM
  • I had one user not use outlook for the over past 2 days. He is reporting that he is still having issues, which rules out Outlook. Being that these are identical systems, which users use the same applications on, meaning that they all use the same applications with others not reporting any issues, troubleshooting seems to be pretty much moot and time consuming to pin point it. Basically, is there a way to fix this since I was able to rule out Outlook, the largest memory user?
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Actually LOOK at a system while it is experiencing the problem.  You cannot generalize before you gather evidence.

If a system with gigabytes of memory is reporting a shortage, one or more processes should be really bloated as compared to a normally-running system.

-Noel

Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:56 PM
  • I too have started seeing this issue surface over the last 2 months.  First it started on my laptop running Windows 7 64-bit.  Originally I had 4 GB of RAM but upgraded it to 8gb...problem still existed.  Just today I started to see the issue on my primary desktop computer running Windows 7 64 bit with 4 GB RAM. 

I don't have any reasonable solutions or observations to offer at this point but will certainly chime in if something surfaces.

My desktop has been running for over a year with out any issues whatsoever so either a new type of attack is out or a new update / patch has introduced a memory leak somewhere from someone.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to boot in Clean Boot? Does the issue disappear?

You may also upload the RMP file of RamMap to Skydrive, let us analyse it.

Regards,
    Juke
    TechNet Subscriber support in form. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:34 AM
  • I have been LOOKING for the past month and not found what is causing the issue. I am just going to rebuild them new PCs.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Screen grab someone's Task Manager when the problem is occurring and post it here, then.  Someone should be able to tell you whether their version of the process shown is using much less memory.

It occurs to me that if the main RAM doesn't look full to you it could be something else - for example Video RAM management problems due to bugs in the display drivers.  Is there any correllation between the video card type and the problem occurring?  Do the systems experiencing the problem have the same kind of video card?  Are the drivers up to date from the web site of the maker of the video card(s)?

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, May 30, 2011 7:30 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Regards,
    Juke

Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards
    Juke Chou
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Monday, May 30, 2011 7:30 AM
  • Nothing yet Juke. I ended up rebuilding the people new computers and they have been OK. I still havent figured it out as the new systems are 100% identical as the old ones.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

Have you downloaded the RamMap tool? If so, please upload the rmp file of a problematic computer to Skydrive, then post the link here. I will help you analyse it, by collecting this information now, it will help us move quickly toward a solution.

Download it at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229

Best Regards
    Juke Chou
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:26 AM
  • There have been no issues on the one PC i have up over the weekend that has been having this issue. I will keep monitoring it and post the rmp file if/when it happens again.

Monday, June 6, 2011 12:55 PM
  • I found a knowledge-base article that might be pertinent:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

-Noel

• Marked as answer by jcocozzo Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:10 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Thanks Noel, I will give that link a try and let you know.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Is there an easy way to list all these win7 knowledgebase hotfixes and workarounds?

Monday, June 20, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Noel,

After a while, I noticed the wireless configuration service has been running on the affected PCs that don't even have wireless cards in them. So that has been disabled. Running the Mr. Fixit from the hotfix alone didn't work out that well. But disabling service along with your Mr. Fixit hotfix, seems to have done the trick. I did both on one of the trouble PC's and the error has not popped up in over a week, when it normally would pop up in a couple days.

Thanks for the link Noel.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:10 PM
  • That's good news indeed!  You're welcome.

-Noel

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:59 AM