none
Conditional Forwarders in a Forest Trust - How to create? RRS feed

• Question

• We are going to be creating a forest trust, however, we need to set up DNS first using conditional forwarders. Forest A and Forest B have multiple domains, when we set up the conditional forwarders do we set it up on a DNS Server in the root domain of each forest? Is it just one conditional forwarder to a DNS Server in the other forests root domain or will we have to create a conditional forwarder for each domain within the other forest?

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:38 PM

Answers

• Basically, it's up to you to choose DNS topology, the important thing is that client should be able to resolve host name from trusting domain. Two common options are:

1) define conditional forwarders on DNS servers in each domain, or

2) define conditional forwarders on DNS servers in root and have dns servers in child domain forward all unresolved requests to root domain DNS.

Gleb.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:10 PM

All replies

• You need to make sure that trusting forest names can be resolved from root domain as well as from any domain that contains hosts that will be accessing resources in trusting domain.

Gleb.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:55 PM
  • Yes... so do i need to create several conditional forwarders (one per domain in the other forest)?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:59 PM
  • Basically, it's up to you to choose DNS topology, the important thing is that client should be able to resolve host name from trusting domain. Two common options are:

1) define conditional forwarders on DNS servers in each domain, or

2) define conditional forwarders on DNS servers in root and have dns servers in child domain forward all unresolved requests to root domain DNS.

Gleb.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:10 PM
  • Do you have a tech step by step guide of how to do option 2?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:31 PM
  • Hi technomiss,

>>Do you have a tech step by step guide of how to do option 2?

1.Right click 'Conditional Forwarders' on your root DNS server in the DNS Manager. Select 'New Conditional Forwarder...'

Add your child domain's DNS Domain name and IP address.

2.Right click your child domain's DNS server in the DNS Manager. Select 'Properties' .

In the 'Forwarder' label ,set your root DNS server as forwarder.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:25 AM
  • Thanks for the response,

So to expand on this: Forest A has 5 Domains, Forest B has 5 Domains - 

When creating the conditional forwarders do I need to create 5 entries (do I require the ip address/FQDN of the 5 domains)?

Thursday, February 18, 2016 8:39 AM
  • Hi technomiss,

>>When creating the conditional forwarders do I need to create 5 entries (do I require the ip address/FQDN of the 5 domains)?

Yes, you do.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 8:53 AM