SQL Server 2008 error installing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to install SQL Server 2008 Enterprise on Windows 7 and I get most of the way through the install without errors before I receive the following error.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup------------------------------The following error has occurred:Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.Click 'Retry' to retry the failed action, or click 'Cancel' to cancel this action and continue setup.For help,

I can't find any details as to what the error might be.

Can someone help me?

Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Umphie,

Since the issue is mainly related to installing SQL Server 2008, you’d better post your question in SQL Forums for a specific solution. Here I would like  to propose the following common troubleshooting:

1.        Turn off Windows Firewall and anti-virus software, reinstall SQL Server 2008 with administrator privilege.

2.        View the “SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm” for detailed log, it is located in %\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log.

Reference:

SQL Server Setup

Best Regards

Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, April 2, 2010 1:13 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Umphie,

Since the issue is mainly related to installing SQL Server 2008, you’d better post your question in SQL Forums for a specific solution. Here I would like  to propose the following common troubleshooting:

1.        Turn off Windows Firewall and anti-virus software, reinstall SQL Server 2008 with administrator privilege.

2.        View the “SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm” for detailed log, it is located in %\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log.

Reference:

SQL Server Setup

Best Regards

Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, April 2, 2010 1:13 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 7:10 AM
  • Try copying SQL Server installation files from DVD and installing it locally.

Cheers!

Giorgi

Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

I've been trying to install SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition on Windows XP Pro SP3 with .NET 3.5SP1 and VS2008 installed and I'm getting the same error message.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup
    ------------------------------

The following error has occurred:

Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.

Click 'Retry' to retry the failed action, or click 'Cancel' to cancel this action and continue setup.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.0.1766.0&EvtType=0xEF814B06%25400x08A3AE96

BUTTONS:

&Retry
    Cancel
    I've copied the entire CD on to my local hard drive and I'm installing it on my laptop and I'm logged in using a domain account with local admin rights. Can anyone please point me to the right direction?

Many thanks!

Monday, July 19, 2010 8:53 AM
  •  

Can't believe this info is so hard to find...

Just copy the install setup folder and files to C:\ and it will work flawlessly.

Reference:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/61d56f64-2575-4a58-9503-84579476afaf

• Proposed as answer by AFREDPOA Saturday, October 16, 2010 5:04 PM
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 5:00 PM