Mutliple Access points, equal signal strength causing Home/Public confusion RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Vista desktop in a home with two Wifi N access points.  The signals from the two APs (one on channel 6, the other on 11) are of about equal strength to the desktop (desktop is networked as Wifi).  Same SSID.  You can see the network "identifying" several times a minute.  I have a signal sniffer and I can see the two signals changing places as the most powerful signal several times a minute, presumably causing the software to switch from one AP to the other.  This wouldn't necessarily be a problem for internet use, since the "interruptions" are brief.  However, for network use, it causes the software to "switch" from Private to Public mode.  This drops the network drives and access to network shared files.  Then it switches back again.  I have to assume that the two APs have the two different "locations"   So, how do I fix this?  
    Duane G. Leet, PhD 45 years experience in technology
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 2:30 AM

Answers

• I bet your wireless G using neigbors just love you. LOL
    Open Control Panel, then Open Network and Sharing Center. on the top is the network map
    Under the network map is the name of your network, and to the right of that is a link that says customize. Click the link.
    This is where you change the network status to either public or private.
    You have to be connected to the network to change it.
    • Marked as answer by AnInkling Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:20 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:40 AM