Windows update server services offline getting stuck downloading updates after import RRS feed

• Question

• My company has done imports and exports of Windows 2012 R2 WSUS servers for years in order to tranfer to newly built offline WSUS servers.

We maintain an online Windows 2012 R2 WSUS VM in order to sync  it to MS and then export the WSUS content, cab and log files it for use on the offline server.

As of this past month we are all of a sudden having issues.  After running the wsusutil import cmd on the offline server, the WSUS console displays that updates need to still be downloaded.

My Steps are as follows:

Copy folders inside WSUSContent from the online server to the offline server

Export metadata - wsusutil.exe export export.xml.gz export.log

Import metadata with this command - wsusutil.exe import export.xml.gz import.log

Match all the products, language, classification, and other settings between the online and offline servers

Approve all the products

Updates state they need to be downloaded but get stuck : "5.MB download on 1000.3MB".

I have tried this suggestion: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/525bf1b0-0777-48ef-bb87-e9f4b38ed51a/transfer-updates-from-online-wsus-to-offline-wsus?forum=winserverwsus

It works partially but then it fails right before it finishes and returns to being stuck.

We typically create the process for new servers that we use out in the field.  One thing I noticed was that the version of the online WSUS server services was different  than that of the offline.  The offline version never connects to the internet so I have a couple questions:

Do the server versions of WSUS server have to match? Could a recent windows update on our VM have caused any mismatches ?

Does it mater that some updates are being declined automatically by the export server?

Is there a way to query the internal database for a log file?

Where is the WSUS internal database log file located?

Is there a way to manually update the WSUS version on the offline server to match the online versions?  Currently the online version states 6.3.9600.18694 and the offline version is 6.3.9600.16.

Thanks for any assistance.

Friday, March 1, 2019 9:25 PM

All replies

• bump
    Saturday, March 2, 2019 4:15 PM
  • anyone?
    Sunday, March 3, 2019 4:51 PM
  • Hi, 

Thank you for posting here.

Analysis of the information you provided, I think the reason for the offline WSUS  server does not correctly understand the update file, may be:

1. The location of the content store configured in the database does not match the actual physical location of the content stored on the server.
    2. The DACLs of the volume, \WSUS folder or \WSUSContent folder are incorrect, effectively hiding the content from the WSUS server.

First of all, I suggest you browse this article first: Configure a Disconnected Network to Receive Updates
    Pay special attention to the difference between your process and the process in this article.

Later, in this discussion, I mentioned a situation similar to yours, please refer to whether the solution can help you: Offline WSUS server shows 700+ updates requiring files

Reply back with the details would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic Lv

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 4, 2019 6:26 AM
  • What does the wsusutil.exe export export.log actually export?

I made the mistake of running the command like this as a test WSUSutil.exe export export.xml.gz export.cab

Upon importing my updates started working but I fear there is a issue with not having the log file or is the log file being compressed? 

Does the log file contain the update history from the exporting server? Is it necessary if the importing server will not be talking to any of the clients the export server has?

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 6:10 PM
  • Hi,

Exporting log files is necessary. 

Use WSUSUtil.exe to export update metadata from the WSUS database on the WSUS export server, which includes the metadata package and log files, which are export.cab and export.log. So the format for exporting or importing update metadata at this time are:

> wsusutil.exe export packagename.cab logfile.log
    > wsusutil.exe import packagename.cab logfile.log

When the metadata.txt file in the exported CAB file exceeds the limit of 2 gigabytes (GB), the file size of the exported package file (packagename.cab) is displayed as 0 kilobytes (KB). The problem is that you first need to install the patch, then use the export metadata by exporting or importing using the GZIP file format:

> wsusutil.exe export packagename.xml.gz logfile.log
    > wsusutil.exe import packagename.xml.gz logfile.log

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic Lv

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Friday, March 15, 2019 6:06 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply I didn't think anyone would ever respond.

So I want to clarify something.  We are following every instruction that MS has provided.  We have done this process over 100 times without issues.

We have narrowed down where the issues is occurring but do not have a fix yet.

So after running the WSUS import command the CMD stays importing updates, when we look at the C:\Windows\WID\Data folder the, SUSDB gets stuck at about half way of the exported amount.  Either the internal database can not process the import or something is corrupt.  We have done multiple exports but none have succeeded on import.  We do run a security baseline on these systems so I am wondering if there are any settings or adjustments that may be causing these issues.

Also I noticed that the size of the exporting servers SUSDB matches the importing SUSDB once the import is completed.  That's how we have been able to identify that the import gets stuck about half way through the process. We have left it running over night and still nothing.
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:59 PM
  • Bump
    Friday, July 12, 2019 2:24 PM