windows7 roaming profiles and folder redirection. RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup roaming profiles with folder redirection for windows 7. If a user logs in from a XP machine, how can I block then from creating another roaming profile for XP.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Viper602,

Thanks for the post!

How do you use the Folder redirection? It would create anoter user profile on Windows 7 if the redirection doesn't work.

Ensure you redirect the user profile to the server, and please set the folder always available offline. Then check if it works.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 6:08 AM
  • I have roaming profiles and folder redirection working for windows 7 but did not want a user to login from a XP machine and create another profile. Is it possible to restrict roaming profiles and folder redirection for only windows 7.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 1:50 PM
  • The user profile created in Windows XP and in Windows 7 are incompatible with one another. The profiles are incompatible because of the difference in the user profile design.

In order to work with co-existance profiles, please follow the guide here:

Managing Roaming User Data Deployment Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489(WS.10).aspx 

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 9:29 AM
  • I have already been completely through the Guide. I know they are incompatible and we were wanting just windows 7 to have this ability and not the XP users. I guess that means you cannot limit roaming profiles and folder redirection to just windows 7 excluding XP from the process.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 4:27 PM
  • we were wanting just windows 7 to have this ability and not the XP users.

If you only want the Windows 7 apply the roaming profile and folder redirection. I think you need to put the Windows XP in different OU and apply another Group Policy settings.

Regards,

Miya

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:00 AM