AD groups with special characters - "User does not exist or is not unique" RRS feed

• Question

• NOTE: We are using SharePoint 2007 (WSS 3.0).

I've seen a few posts like this on the forum, but unfortunately, they either haven't been answered, or after discussion, it turned out that there was a different underlying problem; therefore, none of the existing posts I've been able to get my hands on answer my question.

We have many AD groups for various departments at our organization whose Group Name contains an "@" in them (i.e., financialaid @ domain.com [split apart because TechNet won't let me post "links"]). When I try to add these to SharePoint groups, the People Picker will find it, and the dialog box will confirm that they exist, but when I click onto the next page to actually do the group modification, it comes back with "User does not exist or is not unique." This only happens with these groups that have an "@" in their group name.

These are all e-mail-enabled security groups, to my knowledge, so I can't just change the group name without far-reaching ramifications; on the other side of the coin, my system administrator would also prefer that we not wrap these existing groups in a secondary group that does not contain the special character, for fear of bloating our AD instance and making it less easy to manage.

Is there a setting somewhere, or some command-line way to add these users? (I have actually tried using stsadm to accomplish it, and they do get added to the group, but it has no effect.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is crippling a few of our SharePoint sites.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:36 PM

All replies

• Can anyone from MSFT at least confirm that these characters are not allowed/not handled?

The reason I ask is that I don't see the period (.) or at-symbol (@) in the official list of disallowed characters in AD group/site/site gropu names (which I cannot link to).

Thanks,

Todd

• Edited by tmboyd Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:45 PM
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:18 PM