Stop applications from modifying startup items RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there any way to prevent applications from adding themselves to "startup"?

In msconfig, I see

1. Adobe acrobat speed launcher
    2. Adobe reader synchronizer 

Which I actually don't need them to be running in background all the time. However, even if I uncheck them in the startup options, after reboot, they appear again, perhaps because every time I ran the application it will by default add these items to the startup.

I went through "preference" options in Adobe Acrobat but could not find any option to disable this startup auto-load.

On the system side, is there any way to turn this permission off so that applications cannot modify the startup items?

Bob

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you would like to prevent this originally, it varies on different software. Usually, after the installation of the software (Adobe in your case), there should be an prompt windows with checkbox asking you if you would like them to be turned on after logging in system. You can try reinstall the software and check if they have that option.

As we are talking about a third party software, the software manufacture would be the best resource to provide more accurate information.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Usually, this won't happen when you click on "OK" to apply the changes.

One possibility is that your antivirus software prohibit any change on startup items. Try turning off your antivirus before you set about to change startup programs.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, December 20, 2010 11:51 AM
  • Dear Magon,

I am not meaning to prevent myself from making such change, but to prevent applications from doing that without my knowledge.

Any way to do this?

Bob

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

If you would like to prevent this originally, it varies on different software. Usually, after the installation of the software (Adobe in your case), there should be an prompt windows with checkbox asking you if you would like them to be turned on after logging in system. You can try reinstall the software and check if they have that option.

As we are talking about a third party software, the software manufacture would be the best resource to provide more accurate information.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

• Marked as answer by Bob Sun Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:44 AM