Print spooler keeps shutting itself off RRS feed

• Question

• I have an XP Pro sp3 32bit system.I was forced to do a system restore and ever since my printer spooler keeps shutting itself off. I checked Services to make sure it is set to automatic and started it but when I try to install a printer it shuts itself off again. I cannot uninstall my printers from the control panel for some reason. When I try to the spooler shuts itself off and the uninstll stops. Knowing that there could be a corrupt file that would cause the spooler to shut off I first went to the windows/system32/spooler and deleted all drivers from the Driver folder. The printer folder was empty for some reason. When that did not work I went into the registry and deleted any file I could find on any printer I had installed on this system and it still does the same thing. I then did a scannow and had what dll's were missing replaced and that did not work. Then I replaced the spoolsv. file and that did not work. I've done windows updates several times with no luck. I am out of ideas so if anyone out there can help I would appreciate it.

The errors I get are:
    "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running." This is the intitial error I get when I try to add a printer.

And if I manually start the spooler I get "Operation could not be completed". This one gives not reason for the error.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:28 PM

Answers