none
Windows 7, KSOD (Black screen, no login) - Language pack and MDT RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

Here is the deal. I made a Windows 7 Pro gold image with updates in it. When I deploy it in english, everything works fine. The problem is when I deploy it and add a language pack with MDT, the deployment works just fine, although, after a reboot, windows install 75 updates, then reboot to a black screen with a cursor (before login). The problem only occurs when I am installing the french language pack with MDT (installed using the package option with MDT), after the deployment has completed. It also only happen if I wait a "long" time after deploying and first reboot. If I reboot quickly and manually install windows update before it reboots, it does not seem to have the problem.

Additional information:

1. CTRL+ALT+DELETE or CTRL+SHIFT+ESC does not open task manager
    2. Safe mode also comes to black screen
    3. Enabling debug mode does not give any interesting data
    4. Using "last known good configuration" does not work
    5. The problem occurs on many different hardware, and only when using language packs, so it is not driver related
    6. Using startup repair works, but it is completely useless because I am trying to do a deployment

The setup:

1. Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 with all updates up to a month ago.
    2. Installed in English
    3. Powershell 5
    4. .net 4.6.1
    5. Gold image was done in a virtualbox VM with 4GB ram, 2 cores, 100gb hdd with 3d hardware acceleration enabled
    6. MDT 2013 update 2 (build 8330)
    7. Language packs (lp.cab) are installed using the package section in MDT. I would like to avoid injecting them in the WIM for flexibility reasons.
    8. I have removed the content of %windir%/Software Distribution/Download to save space in the WIM, although leaving them there does not fix the problem.

How does the problem occurs:

1. Deploy with MDT, select french language pack
    2. Leave office for one hour or two, deployment takes around 20 minutes.
    3. After deployment, move computer in proper OU to trigger windows updates (updates are disabled in the gold image)
    4. Reboot
    5. Black screen

I've been hitting the Microsoft wall for two weeks now, with no solution. I've tried to create 2 different gold images, different hardware; I always end up with the same problem.

Any help, insight or other would be much appreciated.

Friday, September 23, 2016 12:16 PM

Answers

• Hey Alex, that seems like a good idea. I'll give it a try when I get the time. In the meantime, applying updates right after deployment seems to be an option, so I will try to enable them during deployment to see what happens.
    • Marked as answer by Francis Ga Monday, November 7, 2016 1:18 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 11:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Francis,

i got the Same issue on my setup with german Language Pack. (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/50bc9446-7104-4d77-bd02-e2b90cb11d5f/w7-sp1-blackscreen-mit-maus-nach-mdt2013-deployment?forum=windowsdeploymentde)

I could fix it with the following steps:

-Disable your LP package

-Add an Application with your lp.cab in the source and the commandline: 

Dism /online /Add-Package /PackagePath:.\lp.cab

-Add the following console steps to your Task sequence (the first step needs a script i will link below):

cscript //nologo %SCRIPTROOT%\RegionalSettings.wsf /UserLocale:%UserLocale% /SystemLocale:%SystemLocale% /KeyboardLocale:"%KeyboardLocale%" /UILanguage:%UILanguage% /GeoID:%GeoID%
    bcdedit /set {current} locale %UserLocale%
    bcdboot %WinDir% /l %UserLocale%

-add a reboot

-Add the following console step to your Task sequence:

reg delete HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages\en-US /f

I checked all this steps with a condition "UserLocale" not equals "en-US" or "en-us" so that nothing happens if english is selected.

you should also add the Property GeoID to your customsettings.ini.

and then set the following properties:

UILanguage=fr-FR
    UserLocale =fr-FR
    GeoID=84
    SystemLocale=fr-FR

and optional:

KeyboardLocale=

Link to the regionalsettings script: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/deploymentguys/2015/02/27/configuring-regional-and-language-settings-online-in-an-mdt-task-sequence-script-update/

Its a bit tricky, but it works.

I hope, MS will fix it in the future!

Alex

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:44 PM
  • Well, first problem, I use the same task sequence for all sites; as far as I know, I cannot use different customsetting.ini on the same task sequence.

Second thing, (as written in number 7 in the original post) Language packs (lp.cab) are installed using the package section in MDT. I would like to avoid injecting them in the WIM for flexibility reasons (I might need to remove languages and add others later on).

So far, the only fix that works is to force install all the updates available from windows update right after deployment, but this still means that I have to watch the deployment as it goes.

Thanks for your post, I'll reply if I get another solution.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:39 PM
  • Hi,

you just can inject TS Variables on different ways.

For example:

-Use the MDT Database 

-you can build a custom pane for the TS Wizzard to set them 

-Set the TS variables over conditioned "set task sequence variable" steps

-Use logical differences in customsettings.ini like gateway or something else

I would recommend that you make an Application for each Language Pack with a simple vb script.

At first you call the Dism command in it so that the LP will be inject. After that you simply set the TS variables from my other Post like it is showed here: Link 

With this solution you can select your Languagepack / Language with the Application Selection!

The Problem is just the way over the Package selection! because MDT injects the LP before the "real" Windows is powered up. There seems to be a bug that causes the Blackscreen in this case.

So if you inject it after Windows pe, it will work.

On the steps i explained there is no injection to the wim! You have to add these steps to your deployment task sequence and not to the capture!

If you need more help i can see if i can make screenshots or a step by step tutorial.

Alex

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:47 PM
  • Hey Alex, that seems like a good idea. I'll give it a try when I get the time. In the meantime, applying updates right after deployment seems to be an option, so I will try to enable them during deployment to see what happens.
    • Marked as answer by Francis Ga Monday, November 7, 2016 1:18 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 11:55 AM
  • Hi Francis,

okay :) if you need help or script parts just let me know.

Alex

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 7:05 AM