Cannot Keep Hard Disk Drive D: Indexed in Windows Vista, Windows Vista Resetting Custom Index Locations RRS feed

• Question

• I have the contents (Windows Vista's default/standard folders Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Music, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches, and Videos) of my Windows Vista User Profile (C:\Users\Filipe) on my Hard Disk Drive D: (D:\Users\Filipe).

I add/include these locations (folders) to the index, but every time I boot Windows Vista they are gone. Windows Vista seems to be resetting Windows Search every time I boot it (Windows Vista). In other words, Windows Search seems to be deleting/removing all custom index locations every time I boot Windows Vista.

How can I fix this?

PS: I am running Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit (ENU) with Service Pack 2 on a HP Pavilion dv7-1060ep Entertainment Notebook PC. I have replicated this problem on other systems: a HP Pavilion dv5-1199eg running the same version of Windows and a desktop PC running Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit (DEU) with Service Pack 2.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:29 PM

Answers

• Fixed on 15-08-2009 by clean-installing Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Professional ENU.
    • Marked as answer by Fil0403 Monday, October 5, 2009 4:50 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 4:50 PM

All replies

• I re-indexed the mentioned locations (rebuild) and that seems to have fixed the issue. I restarted Vista and they are still indexed. I will let you know if the issue comes back.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:51 PM
  • The issue came back: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer stopped working (I recall this happening several times before as well) and, afterwards, the mentioned locations were not indexed anymore.

The indexing options seem to be reset if Microsoft Windows Search Indexer stops working, which means any custom / manually-added locations (such as any location on any hard disk drive other than the one where Microsoft Windows is installed -- this case) are deleted/removed and, thus, not indexed anymore until you manually add them again to the index (if you do).

The goal now is therefore to find out why exactly Microsoft Windows Search Indexer keeps stopping working and how to fix this (i.e. how to prevent Microsoft Windows Search Indexer from stopping working), so, if anyone has any ideas on this, please let me know; thank you.
    • Edited by Fil0403 Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:30 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Performed Vista In-Place Upgrade (Repair Install).

Issue seems to be (at least) half-fixed: added custom locations to the indexer and they were still deleted once when restarting Vista (might have been related to failed Windows Updates and subsequent reverting of changes made to the system, not sure), but, apart from that, Windows Search is working fine, haven't received any problem message(s) so far.

Probably too soon to tell anyway, will try to install Windows Updates one by one and give it at least a week and let you know of the results.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Confirmed that issue was not completely fixed by Vista In-Place Upgrade (aka Repair Install).

Issue does seem to have been minimized, though.

Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:20 PM
  • Fixed on 15-08-2009 by clean-installing Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Professional ENU.
    • Marked as answer by Fil0403 Monday, October 5, 2009 4:50 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 4:50 PM