Client OS curiosity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi-

I always thought it was required that a SBS client be running either Professional (XP or Win7) or Business (Vista) OS in order to join a domain.  I see Essentials allows XP Home and Vista Home Premium.  Is there a simple explanation of why these home OSs are allowed to join the Essentials domain?  Do the same rules apply to SBS Standard?

Thanks, Ira Shapiro

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hi-

I always thought it was required that a SBS client be running either Professional (XP or Win7) or Business (Vista) OS in order to join a domain.  I see Essentials allows XP Home and Vista Home Premium.  Is there a simple explanation of why these home OSs are allowed to join the Essentials domain?  Do the same rules apply to SBS Standard?

Thanks, Ira Shapiro

With client OS like Home Editions and Mac, you are not actually joining the Active Directory domain.  Only clients which have domain join ability such as Win Pro sku's and above will join the AD domain, the rest allow to be connected to the SBS Essentials Dashboard.  They will be able to participate in the SBS essentials environment but not utilize the AD functionality.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:03 AM

All replies

• Hi-

Thanks, Ira Shapiro

With client OS like Home Editions and Mac, you are not actually joining the Active Directory domain.  Only clients which have domain join ability such as Win Pro sku's and above will join the AD domain, the rest allow to be connected to the SBS Essentials Dashboard.  They will be able to participate in the SBS essentials environment but not utilize the AD functionality.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:03 AM
  • OK.  This will work as long as those "home" clients can still map drives to the shares on the SBS.  Thanks for the explanation.

Ira

Sunday, May 22, 2011 4:29 AM