none
Application-consistent checkpoints for VHD set

Question

• Hi, everyone. I am trying to implement backup of Hyper-V guest cluster on Windows server 2016. Guest cluster nodes are windows server 2016 virtual machines with VHD set as a shared storage. Based on the description from TechNet, it is possible to include such disks into application-consistent checkpoints:

VHD Set files are a new shared Virtual Disk model for guest clusters in Windows Server 2016. VHD Set files support online resizing of shared virtual disks, support Hype-V Replica, and can be included in application-consistent checkpoints.

I am trying to call the CreateSnapshot method of the Msvm_CollectionSnapshotService, passing instance of 
    Msvm_VirtualSystemCollection with guest cluster virtual machines as members, but it fails with an error:

'Win2016-node2' could not create auto virtual hard disk: General access denied error (0x80070005). (Virtual machine ID ADC556DC-427B-4F67-A128-D14F4F782C2A)

All virtual machines files are located on CSV, including VHD set files. I found that similar issues occur if a virtual hard disk is located in root folder of CSV, but that's not my scenario, all files are located in non-root folders. 

I granted NT VIRTUAL MACHINE\ADC556DC-427B-4F67-A128-D14F4F782C2A and second guest cluster VM full control permissions, but the problem still occurs.

Can anyone guess, what is the reason of this error? I would appreciate any thoughts and ideas.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Vadym,

If you create a snapshot manually, is it successful?

I suppose what you are doing is related to coding, and it seems I could not find related information about the error.

You may also try to post in MSDN forum for help.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 09, 2017 5:22 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Checkpoint creation from Failover Cluster Manager GUI fails with error:

"Cannot take checkpoint for 'Win2016-node2' because one or more shareable VHDX are attached and this is not part of a checkpoint collection."

Can you recommend where exactly on MSDN forum it is better to post such question? Yes, it's related to coding, but it's even more related to Hyper-V.

Friday, February 10, 2017 9:35 AM
  • Hi Vadym,

The only related information I could find about is stating it as supported, nothing about the error.

I would post here if I got any updates on it.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:06 AM
  • Same issue here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0d6cddde-3ff3-4a50-a627-6ad7bf7667fd/cannot-create-checkpoint-when-shared-vhdset-vhds-is-used-by-vm-not-part-of-a-checkpoint?forum=winserverClustering

And also we have the same issue. Need to find a solution quickly.

Kind regards

Michael

Monday, February 13, 2017 8:26 AM
  • Hi there,

Yes, while working with shared disks I also got 'General access denied' unexpected errors. However I haven't got the reason, the problem was transient.

I suggest to collect tcpdump of the traffic between RSVD client (HyperV) and RSVD server (SOFS) and to check what particuar step is failing. I know that CreateSnapshot flow includes several stages, maybe server replies failure somewhere in the middle.

Monday, February 13, 2017 11:13 AM
  • Hi Volodymyr,

Thanks for sharing your experience, it's good to know that someone also faced the same problem. I already tried to track vmms.exe process activity during CreateSnapshot call with Process Monitor from Sysinternals, but I haven't found any "Acess denied" errors. But I'll try to collect tcpdump, maybe it will help to figure out what's the problem.

Monday, February 13, 2017 12:09 PM
  • Hi there,

do you have KB3213986 installed on the Host System? This is what is causing the error on my end. Uninstalling leads to a BSOD, so I have no solution to that yet. Kind of waiting for a patch here without knowing what the exact reason is (Best guess would be a code issue with vmms.exe).

Have you solved your problem in the meantime?

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:31 AM