none
MDT2010 vs AIK 2.0 vs WDS

Question

• what is the difference between MDT 2010 ,AIK 2.0 and WDS.

what is the best one to deploy windows 7 over network on 300 pc.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:59 AM

Answers

• HI Alaa.

Like you said, you'll install WDS to be able to but machines use PXE and the create or deploy an image.

MDT it's like a framework that you install and has all the documentation and tools needed for you to create your custom image.
    It's like a food receipt. You buy de OS, Applications, Drivers, Hotfixes, etc and then you mix them all with a task sequence that tells the system the step it needs to take to create the custom image.
    Additionally when you update MDT it creates the means necessary for you to boot machines from the WDS. It creates boot wim files that you can publish on WDS.

WAIK its a set of tools that needs to be installed for you to be able to use MDT.
    MDT needs tools from WAIK to work properly. One good example is Windows SIM that makes you able to edit unattend.xml files.

Hope this is not to confusing.
    Any doubts, please tell me.

Geeking Around Technological World - [http://frontslash.wordpress.com/]
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:34 AM

All replies

• WAIK 2.0 is a set of core tools you need to be able to deploy Windows 7. So whatever solution you use to deploy Windows 7 you most probably will always need the WAIK.

WDS is able to deploy prepared OS Images using PXE Boot. With 2008 R2 it will also be able to include Drivers etc. but you still need to manually configure a lot of the steps yourself.

MDT 2010 (which also requires WAIK 2.0) is a Toolkit which will take away a lot of the action required to be able to deploy images. It helps you on creating the Reference Image(s), make changes, inject Drivers, install additional Applications and a whole lot more.

My personal opinion is, the best method to deploy Windows 7 is MDT 2010. I can only recommend to download and install it at least for a short test. Follow the "Quick Start Guide for Litetouch" from the MDT Documentation. It will guide you step-by-step to  a working Deployment solution. It might take you an hour or two and you have already deployed your first computer. Sure in a very basic configuration but at least it is working, you know how the process itself works and then you can decide if this is a solution which will fulfill your needs.

Regards

Maik
    http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/maikkoster/default.aspx
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:55 AM
  • Going to sound stupid but you need all three!!

WDS to enable PXE booting.

WAIK to allow validation and editing of Unattend.xml files.

MDT 2010 to create and deploy WIndows 7 images.

Install MDT and look at the help.  There is a Quick start guid wich explains the fundamentals.
    Rob
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:58 AM
  • hi rob

what i have understood from you that WDS ,WAIK and MDT 2010 are separate tools.
    wds to enable pxe booting this means that we cannot make image for windows 7 and deploy it. unless we use MDT 2010.here I have a question each tool is separate so how we are going to combine them.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:26 AM
  • hi rob

what i have understood from you that WDS ,WAIK and MDT 2010 are separate tools.
    wds to enable pxe booting this means that we cannot make image for windows 7 and deploy it. unless we use MDT 2010.here I have a question each tool is separate so how we are going to combine them.

My setup is as follows.

I have WDS, WAIK and MDT all installed on one virtual Windows 2008 R2 server.  Although seperate tools they can all sit on one server.

WDS is only used to provide network PXE booting.  Not needed if you are going to use a CD/DVD to boot yor clients.

WAIK is installed as a pre-requisite to MDT.  MDT 2010 installed to create the deployment share and the PXE image file and Windows 7 distribution.

It may take a while but as Maik say's install MDT and go through the quick start guide.

All the driver installation and image deployment customisation is done through MDT.
    Rob
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:33 PM
  • HI Alaa.

Like you said, you'll install WDS to be able to but machines use PXE and the create or deploy an image.

MDT it's like a framework that you install and has all the documentation and tools needed for you to create your custom image.
    It's like a food receipt. You buy de OS, Applications, Drivers, Hotfixes, etc and then you mix them all with a task sequence that tells the system the step it needs to take to create the custom image.
    Additionally when you update MDT it creates the means necessary for you to boot machines from the WDS. It creates boot wim files that you can publish on WDS.

WAIK its a set of tools that needs to be installed for you to be able to use MDT.
    MDT needs tools from WAIK to work properly. One good example is Windows SIM that makes you able to edit unattend.xml files.

Hope this is not to confusing.
    Any doubts, please tell me.

Geeking Around Technological World - [http://frontslash.wordpress.com/]
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:34 AM
  • Hi All

Some of the confusion around which tool to use, at least for me, comes from my history with using Ghost.  In that scenario there are no automated application installs, driver injections, task sequences etc.  Instead you just build a reference system, run sysprep, capture the image, then deploy.  From what I can see WDS is capable of the same thing with no AIK or MDT involvement.  We can use WDS to generate a PXE boot image to capture the reference image, and another to deploy the image.   And now in Win2k8 R2 we can also inject different drivers depending on the hardware.   

My thought is that MDT is most useful in the situations where there is a "lot" of variability in terms of applications and hardware.  Granted I've only used these things in a lab but this is what I observe so far.   Having all Lenovo systems with a universal application load, I plan to:

- build a reference computer with standard application load
    - sysprep
    - copy image to WDS
    - load drivers for all models to WDS for deploy-time injection
    - deploy
    - post deploy actions handled by WSUS, GPO, and GP Preferences

Mark

Monday, July 19, 2010 9:10 PM
  • Just finished having setup the WDS and WAIK and got my automated installs working 100% when i found a referance to MDT. (Wish i found it sooner) But will explain what i have found in not using MDT.

If you are going to deploy via a network (PXE boot) you need WDS
    This will not be a "one click" deployment as you need to set the language and select the image and OS versions and create the disk partisions. ect....
    You can also use WDS to "capture" (convert) a premade system inot an image and then deploy that image so that all your apps is already installed.

WAIK is used to create "answer files"
    Using WAIK you create a file that you pre-specify (answer) the user interfaxce questions like language, disks, timezone....
    There are 2 kinds (for OS vista and up) WDSclientUnattend - for the WDS deployment part
    and the Unattend for the OS part.
    So basically you fill in all the blanks to automate the deploy process that the user does not have to click on anything, but be warned, WAIK is not the easiest tool if you have never worked with answer files.

MDT is basically like a "How can we make it easier" tool.
    It can help you make images and inject drivers for those images. (faster than WDS)
    It will help you create the Unattend file and inject it into the image.
    (Easier then WAIK as its a click and select tools and makes the answer file for you in the correct format and adds the values to the correct stages)

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:58 AM
  • If you are going to deploy via a network (PXE boot) you need WDS
    This will not be a "one click" deployment as you need to set the language and select the image and OS versions and create the disk partisions. ect....
    You can also use WDS to "capture" (convert) a premade system inot an image and then deploy that image so that all your apps is already installed.

We are also looking at capturing existing images with apps already installed and deploy them. Basically just replacing our current Ghost and PXE setup.  Any insight or links to existing articles regarding configuring PXE/WDS and how to capture(gather) existing images would be greatly appreciated.
    • Edited by NDeYoung Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:44 PM
  • You guys ROCK for spelling out this stuff for someone like me who has to pilot a similar rollout for a new client :)

Now for my ultra "newbie" question, where exactly does the answer file get place for use during a PXE deployment? Does it get placed on a usb stick for each pc or is it located somewhere else for this setup?

Thanks in advance!

Mat

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:25 AM
  • Thanks as well for all of the information.

Here is another "ultra newbie" question:

I have installed MDT 2010 on a Windows 2008 R2 Server.  When i go to create a new share, it creates the folders been then the application closes when trying to install scripts and tools.  Anyone have a clue as to why this would happen, or even where the log file is so i can see why it is crashing?

As a result, I have been using WDS only, and was able to capture two images.  I then created an unattend.xml answer file, which i attached to the images in WDS via the Properties tab.  Problem is, when i push the image out, the answer file is not being seen.  The other problem is that after the image does get pushed out, the system restarts, sysprep does some more stuf, then the machine reboots and errors out, saying it could not complete the installation of Windows.  I saw a Hotfix out there, but was not sure how to apply it, since the machine is now caught in a setup loop.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help!

Regards,

Oliver Young

Friday, December 2, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Plz find the attached image.
    Friday, June 1, 2012 11:13 AM
  • Title: Windows Deployment Service (WDS) vs Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012 (MDT): Choose The Right Tool
    URL: http://techdays.ca/contentlibrary/powerpoint/en/2011-windows-deployment-service-(wds)-vs-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-2012-(mdt)-choose-the-right-tool.aspx

The PowerPoint above has a general description of the WDS and MDT. And it will let you know the differences between the WDS and MDT.

Title: Deploying Windows 7 with Windows Deployment Services
    URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/video/deploying-windows-7-with-windows-deployment-services.aspx

The resource above is a video; you could learn the detailed procedures about deploying Windows 7 with WDS. Also you will gain an understanding of the differences between using WDS and the MDT, and find out where to access resources for step-by-step deployment using MDT.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:14 PM