Outlook 2016 .pst file password RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Office 2016 Pro on Windows 8.1 Pro including Outlook 2016. I was running an older version of Outlook 2007 on Windows 7. Before upgrading the operating system or Outlook I save the *.pst and *.ost files from their default folder in 2007 to a secondary folder hoping I could simply add those copies of the file to the new Outlook 2016 on the new operating system Windows 8.1. When I followed the steps to import the old .pst file I was asked for a .PST password that I never assigned. How do I find out what that password is so I can get to all my old emails, etc.? I updated the same computer so I do not have access to either the old operating system Win 2007 nor Outlook 2007. Please help me.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hi StanTom,

Does this issue only occur to one PST file?
    Have you tried copying the PST file to another machine with Outlook and seeing if it can be imported as expected? 
    I am assuming that if it could be that the PST file was attached with a password by accident. 

Please try to repair the PST file using Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) and see if there will be any difference. 

If the PST file is really password protected, I'd afraid we are unable to remove the password. Microsoft has added password protection capability to many features in Office programs to help prevent unauthorized access to important information. 

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 29, 2017 9:28 AM