"Open With" Opens wrong version RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Project 2019 Professional on windows 10. Both are fully updated.

I had to install project 2007 to run a training course this week as the client is still using it (woeful, I know).

After installing it all my project icons changed and 2007 became the default programme for opening .mpp and other project files.  I can't uninstall it just yet as they may be looking to do more training in the very near future.

Try as I might I cannot change the defaults back to project 2019.

Even when I right click a file and choose "open with" and browse to the project 2019 winproj file it still opens project 2007.

I would be most grateful for any insights.
    Friday, December 11, 2020 4:55 PM

All replies

• There is probably a way, but other than re-installing 2019, i don't have any guidance.

My hunch (without testing as I don't have multiple versions), until you resolve what you want, if you start the version you wish to use, then Menu:File/Open you'll be ok.  Give it a shot.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Friday, December 11, 2020 5:25 PM
  • James8734 --

I have been down this road myself.  Go to your Control Panel in Windows and then navigate to Programs and Features.  Select Microsoft Project 2019 and then click the Change button.  Run a Quick Repair on your copy of Microsoft Project and that should now make it the default application that opens MPP files.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, December 11, 2020 8:39 PM