none
IE9 : Do you want to Open or Save this file prompt RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I understand there have been a few people who have asked this, but I can't seem to find a definite answer on this.

1. Can this be disabled?

2. If not, why not? What is the security feature or concept behind this prompt making it not possible to to be turned off?

3. If this can't be turned off, what do Microsoft recommend to customers in enterprise environments who have this requirement?  An e.g. is, a SAP database user who regularly has to download numerous pdf/docx files, but this prompt only makes the user environment worse. It sure is very much understandable that regularly downloading files from a particular link, becomes annoying to the user if he/she has to click this prompt every time.

Thanks & Regards,

Monday, April 23, 2012 11:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

What I observed is when IE8 is upgraded to IE9, this issue is not experienced. In IE8 There used to be a key called HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\{0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}  which stored the File Types that could either Auto-Open or not. This Key is not created in IE9, likely so as to support the policy of not auto-opening any file extensions but I believe is migrated along when IE8 is upgraded. This Key can be added to the registry and IE9 still reads and applies settings associated with it.

Whichever File Type you need to Auto-open, simply add a Zero Length Binary value by its name. I have added AcroPDF.PDF and AcroPDF.PDF.1 with Zero Length Binary values to auto open PDF files. These key values can either be manually added to the registry OR deployed using group policie preferences, and then the user is able to Auto-Open the PDF documents in the browser in this example. the same can be applied to .docx, .ppt file types, etc.

Hope this helps many who are searching for this solution.

• Marked as answer by NavinB Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:24 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Base on my research, this function cannot be disabled due to enhance security feature. This can prevent websites downloading automatically.

In addition, you can also refer this article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011/03/10/safer-and-faster-downloads-in-ie9.aspx

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:39 AM
  • Hi,

What I observed is when IE8 is upgraded to IE9, this issue is not experienced. In IE8 There used to be a key called HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\{0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}  which stored the File Types that could either Auto-Open or not. This Key is not created in IE9, likely so as to support the policy of not auto-opening any file extensions but I believe is migrated along when IE8 is upgraded. This Key can be added to the registry and IE9 still reads and applies settings associated with it.

Whichever File Type you need to Auto-open, simply add a Zero Length Binary value by its name. I have added AcroPDF.PDF and AcroPDF.PDF.1 with Zero Length Binary values to auto open PDF files. These key values can either be manually added to the registry OR deployed using group policie preferences, and then the user is able to Auto-Open the PDF documents in the browser in this example. the same can be applied to .docx, .ppt file types, etc.

Hope this helps many who are searching for this solution.

• Marked as answer by NavinB Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:24 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:22 PM
  • What I observed is when IE8 is upgraded to IE9, this issue is not experienced. 

Hello. I´m fighting with this same file saving promt in IE9, so this issue could be valid with IE9 as well.

From what I learned so far, this behaviour is by design. Is there anyway to change this? I have:

- The site which offers .pdf download and the promt appears, is added to trusted site. It´s level is LOW
    - File download is allowed
    - Automatic promting for downloads is disabled
    - Protected mode is disabled
    - Pop up blocker is disabled
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:04 AM
  • It can be disabled on a per-type basis from the download manager (ctrl-j) by right clicking on a file of the type to be disabled and de-selecting the appropriate option.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Ouch.. How is this on IE10? Yes, people working all day in corp systems spend too much time in hitting the prompt to confirm they really want to the document from archive.

Any hint on how to allow for directly opening documents from specific sites?

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:47 PM
  • Well, it depends....based on filetype. E.g. for Office and ZIP files the menu enrty is there, but for other types perhaps not. Unfortnately I do not know (yet) what controls this behaviour.

Friday, June 6, 2014 2:42 PM
  • Thank you for the hint. It would have been sligntly more helpful if you had given a specific example.

On my PC, I do find key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\, but no key {0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} withinn it. Should I create that latter before creating AcroPDF.PDF etc... ; is AcroPDF.PDF valid whatever the reader (e.g. Foxit Reader) ?

Saturday, April 25, 2015 8:52 AM
  • What are the REG_Dword values that need to be used for DOC & DOCX files? We are currently running into an issue after updating to IE11 6 months ago, that word documents will no long auto open for are call center web app in IE11. I currently have these registry setting set and it is not doing anything. Can you please review and provide a list of Dword value each file type.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\{0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
    "AcroPDF.PDF.1"=dword:00000000
    "Word.Document.8"=dword:00000000
    "AcroPDF.PDF"=dword:00000000

Thank you for your help and support

Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:08 PM