ProfileCnt.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Everytime I turn on the computer, there is always a message saying "ProfileCnt.exe has encountered a problem" and I'm asked if I need to send this error report or not? Is there anything I need to fix in my computer? Pleae advise. Thanks.
    • Edited by jatamhk Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:37 AM
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:36 PM

Answers

• ProfileCnt.exe is installed with the DWA-131 (and maybe other D-Link adapters). It is not necessary to have this program run. To stop this error:

1. Use Windows to Manage Wireless Connections
    2. Remove D-Link Wireless connection Manager from Start/All Programs/Startup
    3. Remove all entries containing ProfileCnt.exe in the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility: Start/Run/msconfig
        Note: Backup the Registry before making any changes.
    4. Remove all entries containing ProfileCnt.exe in the Registry: Start/Run/regedit
        a. Search the registry: Ctrl f opens the Find window. Type in ProfileCnt.exe and click Find Next
        b. Press delete then Enter to confirm
        c. Press F3 to continue searching the registry
        d. Delete all remaining entries containing ProfileCnt.exe
        e. Repeat until you have finished searching the registry
    5. Restart the computer.
        Note: Upon restart the window will show the System Configuration Utility window on the desktop. Select the checkbox: Do not show this message... and click OK
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 5:11 PM

All replies

• ProfileCnt.exe is a known virus.  I recommend reinstalling your OS to be sure it is gone.  If you would like to try to clean the machine instead, here are some instructions.

http://www.d-a-l.com/help/spyware-adware-viruses-malware-removal/68128-profilecnt-exe-error-msg.html

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:54 PM
  • ProfileCnt.exe is installed with the DWA-131 (and maybe other D-Link adapters). It is not necessary to have this program run. To stop this error:

1. Use Windows to Manage Wireless Connections
    2. Remove D-Link Wireless connection Manager from Start/All Programs/Startup
    3. Remove all entries containing ProfileCnt.exe in the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility: Start/Run/msconfig
        Note: Backup the Registry before making any changes.
    4. Remove all entries containing ProfileCnt.exe in the Registry: Start/Run/regedit
        a. Search the registry: Ctrl f opens the Find window. Type in ProfileCnt.exe and click Find Next
        b. Press delete then Enter to confirm
        c. Press F3 to continue searching the registry
        d. Delete all remaining entries containing ProfileCnt.exe
        e. Repeat until you have finished searching the registry
    5. Restart the computer.
        Note: Upon restart the window will show the System Configuration Utility window on the desktop. Select the checkbox: Do not show this message... and click OK
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 5:11 PM
  • ProfileCnt.exe is also an executable installed with the DWA-131 driver package.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 5:12 PM